Author Topic: ? Out dated (FOR SALE) adds on the Lasalle parts page? Can this be improved.  (Read 2599 times)

Offline symplesymonsezzz

• 1940 lasalle-5019 sedan
  • Name: j. rice
I entered in the search box for lasalle parts for sale. It returned 830 results with dates back as far as 2008. These dates are all over the place. I.E. # 1,is dated 2012, # 80 might be dated 2010, #81 might be dated 2011, #300 might be dated 2012, #550-2012,# 841-2009, # 268-2010 #289-2011. The pages from 1 to 28 with 830+ listings of for sale parts is very time consuming to look through each add. There must be an easier way to find items that are still for sale. Some add's say the stuff will be scrapped at the end of the month in 2010. This add is no longer relevant and yet is still showing on these pages. I'm new to this club, and maybe i'm missing somthing, or maybe this section needs improvement.  Thanks. :)
J Rice

Offline Bill Hedge CLC 14424

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #14424
  • Name: Bill Hedge
Thanks for your question/suggestion.  Your question is a very good question. We will give your suggestion consideration.  However, from my years experience as a moderator, if we do as you suggest, I can almost guarantee you that our next comment is going to be an inquiry from someone looking for a posting concerning a widget that was made a year or so ago so that he can contact the poster to determine if he still has the widget, or another widget, for sale and wondering why all the posts after a certain date were removed.

As a "work around" you can leave the search field blank and then click on search.  When the "search" is complete you will see the following screen:

"Did you forget to put something to search for?

Search for: _________________

e.g. Orwell "Animal Farm" -movie
Advanced search"

Next click on "Advanced Search".  You should then see a screen that contains a field entitled "Search Order".  Click on the check mark and you should see a pull down menu.  One of the options will be:  "Most recent topics first".   

In addition to, or instead of, complete the Message Age option.  It appears as:

Message age: between ___ and __ days

For instance, if you wish to search for a post made within the last 30 days, simply type in:

Message age: between 0  and 30 days

You should also note the following option:

"+ Choose a board to search in, or search all"

Click on the + and you should see:

Cadillac & LaSalle Club Forums General Discussion
 Technical / Authenticity
 Restoration Blog
 For Sale
 Want To Buy

Newsletters
 Suggestion Box
 Forum Tips and Help
 Break Room
 Deleted Post

Check all
Choose a board to search in, or search all

Check all"

By making the appropriate selection you can narrow your search further.

Last, but not least, do not forget to type in the item for which you wish to search.

I trust that this response answers your question and enhances your membership experience.  If not, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Bill Hedge, CLC #14424
Message Board Administrator
Cadillac & La Salle Club
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:17:00 PM by Bill Hedge CLC 14424 »

Offline symplesymonsezzz

• 1940 lasalle-5019 sedan
  • Name: j. rice
Bill Hedge, I tried what you suugested and it worked. Thanks.    I have an answer from you with reguards to my ?. Should I now click on remove topic or just leave things as they are?.
J Rice

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #14424
I am glad I could be of assistance.  I would suggest leaving the post.  Hopefully others with similar questions will be able to benefit from your question.

Offline 66 Eldo

• Name: P. Kats
Bill, good strategy for narrowing searches, however, most people won't know to look for this thread with the instructions or how to figure it out for themselves. The camp is clearly divided on whether to keep old posts or not and I truly understand the benefit of having old posts as it may help a member find the part he or she needs.  BUT, the For Sale section would be cleaner and easier  if posts were a bit "fresher" . 

One idea that may work ( and I'm sure someone won't like it) would be to have For Sale ads expire after a given amount of time. The Lincoln Continental Owners' Club  (LCOC) forum does this with great understanding and success. Their ads expire after 90 days. If the seller wants to sell they repost. Very simple. To keep the packrats happy on our forum we could keep the posts for longer, maybe a year or so.

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #14424
I will run your proposal past my fellow moderators, etc and advise you of their decision

Thanks

Bill Hedge
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:43:20 PM by Bill Hedge CLC 14424 »

Offline jbuchold

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #13967
  • Name: jack buchold, clc 13967
I concur in the thought of purging posts after a certain time for both the "WTB" and "WTS" areas. I feel that after a couple of years, old posts should require positive confirmation by the "poster" that the post is still relevant. Since some of the current ones appear to have been listed since 2008, and some of the "posters" may no longer be CLC members or have the same e-mail addresses, I believe that they can hardly be viewed as valid.
jackbuchold@yahoo.com......CLC 13967

Offline georgiepieman

• Name: Grant Brophy
Ditto from me on purging outdated posts from the WTB & WTS forums for the reasons already covered above.  I believe both Bill and Jack make very valid points regarding cleaning up the forums.  Several other groups I'm involved with also have a 90-day expiry period for adds - then, if the post is still valid, either the seller or the purchaser can simply review, update, and re-post the item. Grant
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:12:28 AM by georgiepieman »
GB
CLC Member: 28423
AACA Member: 008401
RROC Member: 48832

1941 Cadillac Series 62
1958 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I
1976 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow LWB

Offline gary griffin

• garygriffin@Q.com
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #26430
  • Name: Gary Griffin

The old posts contain viable information and pictures.  My vote would be to leave them and provide A tutorial section to make usage easier.  I am a regular user and I am still learning new procedures for using the archival  portion of the forum.  I think they should be available as long as is feasible.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1942 Cadillac 6719 (parts car) (Gone)
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)

Offline D.Yaros

• The Gray Lady, a '55 Coupe de Ville
  • Ed./Pub. Car Collector Chronicles
  • Name: Dave Yaros

The old posts contain viable information and pictures.  My vote would be to leave them and provide A tutorial section to make usage easier.  I am a regular user and I am still learning new procedures for using the archival  portion of the forum.  I think they should be available as long as is feasible.
I vote for this option.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://GrayLady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/