News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 LaSalle front fender chevrons

Started by 1937 LaSalle coupe, April 27, 2013, 09:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1937 LaSalle coupe

Hello everyone. Has anyone ever made the chevrons for '37 LaSalles ? If you have how good did they turn out? I was thinking of making them out of brass because it would easier to work with. Would anybody know how thick the chevrons are. I was thinking about .125" . After making them, they would get chromed. It looks like all 6 are the same??? Thanks guys for any info... John Lehman... CLC# 26365...   

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Hello John ...I've been making them on special order for about 20 years out of .0625 Stainless. I saw the developed shape of each one on a metal cutting band saw; bevel sand the edges to the proper angle; stamp them in a male/female steel die that I designed and built; clamp them in a compression clamp that I made out of a structural steel "I" beam "C" clamp; and after they are formed to the correct shape I position the three 1/2" #10-32 studs with a soldering jig that I designed and solder them in position with jeweler's "hard" silver. Last step is to acid dip them to remove the scale and flux and buff them to a high luster.
   Not much volume when customer's hear the time and price ... NO PROFIT ...but it's lots of fun ! BB

rodger

@ Bruce. Like my father used to say, good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good.
Rodger Craig

Bruce Berghoff -#1476

Rodger... About 25 years ago I bought a pair of 1938 Cadillac side cover reproduction hinges from Mr.Odd Braathen in MN. at what I considered a very reasonable price, and found them to be of very good quality. A few years later a friend in Australia need a pair, so I ordered another from Mr. Braathen, and happened to remark that there had been a price increase. Not much, but my remark apparently hit a sore spot and Mr. Braathen spelled out in detail what was involved in making them ... in no uncertain terms ! A few years later I called again and talked to Mr. Braathen's son, only to discover that Mr. Braathen had died and his son was not carrying on the task.
    This news prompted me to undertake the exploration. I've now been making them for about 15 years ( at about double Mr. Braathen's price , and still feeling I'm lucky to be braking even).  Mr. Braathen and I both come from Norway , and I'm wondering if the phrase " Put up or Shut up " might have originated in Norway ? BB