News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Cadillac 6227 Coupe restoration

Started by RandyvanHaperen, October 15, 2013, 05:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyvanHaperen

Hello everybody,
My dad bought this 6227c(1940) in 2010 and shipped it to The Netherlands. The car needs a full restoration and we finally decided to start with it, we hope to get the information and help that we are looking for here on the forum. I will try to post a regularly update about the progress in this project.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on going into the deep end and a frame-off restoration.

You will definitely get the correct information you require from this site.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harry s

Neat car. Thanks for the pictures. We'll be watching.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

RandyvanHaperen

Time for an update, the chassis is almost ready.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Randy

Nice progress on your project.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

gary griffin

Great project, I hope you have purchased an "Authenticity Manual" from the club.  It will give you most of the information you will need to do a correct restoration.

I would also suggest you get a copy of the build sheet for your car. It will give you the date it was shipped from the factory and the destination to it's first point of sale and all of the accessories, colors and other information about "Your Car" 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

Congratulations on your car. this is one I shipped into England last year.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

RandyvanHaperen

Quote from: gary griffin on October 26, 2014, 02:17:47 PM
Great project, I hope you have purchased an "Authenticity Manual" from the club.  It will give you most of the information you will need to do a correct restoration.

I would also suggest you get a copy of the build sheet for your car. It will give you the date it was shipped from the factory and the destination to it's first point of sale and all of the accessories, colors and other information about "Your Car"

Hello Garry,

Yes, we dit. We also have the built sheet with the information on original colour and acessories.

Smedly

Steve, that's a beauty, I love the color como ;)
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

hudson29

What a great project! I has a slightly old sister Coupé from 1939 and can tell you they are very nice cars to drive. Has your car been long in Holland? I would guess that it was sold elsewhere initially and imported later? The USA was not yet officially at war in 1940 and I'm not sure how GM exports to Europe were treated.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

Missed40

Hey there!  I never thought I would see the old girl again, but there she is!  Your Dad bought the car from me back 2010.  It does my heart great good to see her finally being restored as she so richly deserves.  Ask your dad if he remembers losing one of the taillights in transit, just in case you don't believe me.  The car had a Lasalle engine in it also, as I'm sure your research has uncovered.  I see you were able to get the kink out of the passengers side frame horn in the rear, where the car had been rear-ended many, many,years ago.  I see you were also able to get the ride height straightened out, a consequence of the frame damage I believe.  When I had the car it rode on a single series 72 spring on one side and a series 60 sedan spring on the other, an attempt by a previous "restorer" to get the car to sit properly.  One of the last things i did to the car before your dad bought it was install a correct set of springs, but it still didn't sit right.  Please keep us updated on the progress of this great car, as there really aren't very many of them left.  Again, I am overjoyed to see the car being returned to its former glory, it is one of my greatest regrets that I could not do the restoration myself.

RandyvanHaperen

This project was on hold for some time but the good news is that we started again...

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Looks Great Randy!!

Don't stop....She's gonna be a beauty!!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

harry s

Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Dan Paige

Nice work!  Might I ask how you refurbished the radiator shutter thermostat?   I have one that has been wired in the open position and thinking of a restoration.   
Proud owner of my first Cadillac LaSalle.  1940 5219.