Author Topic: 1968 DeVille Convertible - Restoration  (Read 19155 times)

Offline DeVille68

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30616
  • Name: Nicolas Hubacher
Re: 1968 DeVille Convertible - Restoration
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
Here is the crank from the bottom. You can clearly see the damage on rod journal nr. 8
The crank number is 1486424, so this the correct crank for 472 for 68-69.

Next, I will measure the cylinders, pistons, crank, cam, etc...
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Offline DeVille68

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30616
« Reply #181 on: November 05, 2017, 03:56:39 AM »
Disassembly of the front suspension continued. All the bushings and balljoints are pressed out. Ready to sandblast and paint. Need to wait for my new parts to arrive.
I created my own tools made from scrap metal parts. Worked perfectly, you don't need to spend a lot of money on tools. Just use your scrap pieces and make your own tools. The shop manual has detailed descriptions on how to press out the balljoints and the A-arm shaft bushings. There is a drawing with some measurements given. I made my own piece according to these descriptions.

Here are a few pictures. 

Someone replaced two balljoints before. I you look closely you see that all four balljoints are different.

The last two pictures show the passenger side A-arm with the balljoint. You can see that the balljoint is oriented such that the stop of the ball is towards the front of the car. Not sure why or what this does.
There was a discussion lately http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=147058.0 on the side specifics of the A-Arms.

Offline Bentley

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30183
  • Name: WBentley
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
Are you planning to install new coil springs when you put it back together?
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183

Offline DeVille68

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30616
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
I was thinking about that and asked probably the most rebuttable shop in the us that produced new springs for classic car, but I did not get a clear answer.
They have no damage, are not rusted so I guess my originals are still fine.
So I just clean them and paint them black again.

Offline Bentley

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30183
  • Name: WBentley
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
Check with Scott Minesinger. I recall on one of his posts, he said he replaced his. I'm not sure if the difference in ride quality is significant, but it would seem like it should be better with new springs. When I had my front end rebuilt I did not replace the springs. I kind of wish I did, since it was already taken apart anyway. But even with the original springs back in, and all other parts replaced, the ride quality is great, and it tracks straight as an arrow.
Wes Bentley
CLC # 30183