News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bringing a 46 back to life

Started by RussK, July 19, 2014, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussK

I bought a 1946 62 series, it has not seen the light of day for about 30 years.
The previous owner had brake issues and took it apart, his health started failing and the car sat for 13 years until his death.
His wife couldn't part with it for another 17 years.
Buy this time the engine has seized, some rust had taken hold and the interior was in dismal shape.   
This car had a 49 OHV installed some time in the 50s, all the wood grain was black, so Its not a candidate for a original restoration, I would like to bring it back to its former glory but it is not going to happen.
I am making this car a good driver, I hope you guys (and gals) enjoy what I have done so far.

Got it home and it sat on my trailer for a few weeks until I made room inside the garage.
Russell kidd

RussK

1st was getting the engine to free up, if not I was thinking of a SBC and a 700r4. If it was a OE flat head I would have done a rebuild if needed.
I filled the cylinders with diesel, less than a day later it was free.
I rebuilt the carburetor, fuel pump, and it started right up.

Russell kidd

RussK

after starting, I figured I would start making it pretty to.

Off with the valve covers to paint

I painted them white
Russell kidd

RussK

I 1st painted them white

Then I painted them cadi blue, then buffed down the raised letters.

Russell kidd

RussK

also did the oil air filter.

Ok , the motor looks good, brakes are next
Russell kidd

RussK

The front brakes were gone, not as in worn out ,but more like missing in action.
I pulled the drums and there was no shoes or nothing.

I'm so glad you can still get these.

I like automatic adjusters so I got a set off of a 69 Buick wildcat.

A few

mixed and matched parts and Viola
Russell kidd

RussK

Well it moves under its own power, and it stops as well.
I have been running it with a small can under the hood, now its time for a new tank and sender.

new tires and fresh paint on the wheels
Russell kidd

RussK

1st road trip (1.8 miles)

now lets lighten it up a little inside

Had to add some color to the gauges

Russell kidd

RussK

Dash is now a almond color

also converted it to 12volts while I had it out.
Russell kidd

RussK

I started on the doors

But sometimes you just have to drive it.

finished door
Russell kidd

RussK

now doing the seats

I know it not original, but I do want it looking like it could have been or period correct as you might say.
This is were it stands at this moment, I will be finishing the rear seat and package tray this week. I will post more pics on how it comes out.
You can see all of the pics at http://s391.photobucket.com/user/RussK_album/slideshow/1946%20cadillac
and the 1st time it moved under its power at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZokhpGkN0Q
Russell kidd

Coupe Deville

Wow. That's a great looking car. Love to hear a story of a car that has not been started in many years and it just starts right up. Great progress. Like the pictures too. I didn't know you could put self adjusters on a 40s-50s Caddy. I will have to look into that.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

dwbic

Beautiful car - I like what you have done. 
Don

Smedly

Russel, the car looks great, Keep up the pics. Did you use the wildcat wheel cylinders and backing plates or are they from the caddy? also did you change the rears?
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

RussK

Coup-d, dwbic, Smedly, thanks
On the brakes I used two sets of rear adjusters and adjuster arms from 12 inch Buick brakes. the wheel cylinders, backing plates and shoes are 46 cadi.
The springs were a mix out of a few different kits, I also had to drill a larger hold down spring hole for the adjuster pivot, and add a bigger washer to the top mounting pin to hold the thicker springs and adjusting rods.
So far so good but its only been a few 100 miles, will be removing them in a few weeks to inspect and make sure they are not wearing too quickly or something. 

PS I need a drivers arm rest, if any body has one let me know
thanks RussK
Russell kidd

RussK

I been a little slacking on the Cadillac, having to replace a electric throttle body and ECM on our dodge, then injectors needed replacing on my F250 diesel, the new injectors gave it so much horse power, I tore up the transmission. That was time and money I could have spent elsewhere.
But now the Cadillac is moving along again,
I recovered the rear seat.

I covered the arm rest with some leftover headliner material because of the foam.then in vinyl.

Russell kidd

RussK

The rear package tray needed some attention.
Going from this

To this

Its getting there.
Russell kidd

RussK

Now I have a question, you see how I did the red on the dash.

And on the rear ashtray

should I do it on the lower trim on the rear seat? or would it be to much.
I would like some opinions,

now I need to start on carpet.

This last picture is just to remind all of you not to pull your car covers to tight.
Russell kidd

Smedly

If it were mine, Yes I would do that trim as well. Keep up the good work. the interior is looking awesome.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

RussK

Well Smedly , I took your advice. Thanks for your opinion.
from this

To this

I also did the carpet.

Still have more to do, but almost done on the DIY upholstery, its not perfect but within budget.
Its not a original look but I like it being a little lighter, and it stills has the looks like it could have come from the factory back in the day.
Russell kidd