News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replacing the vinyl padded semi top on a 1978 Eldorado coupe?

Started by 13912, February 08, 2015, 03:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been searching for a 1978 Eldo Biarritz with yellow paint , yellow leather and and a moonroof, with preferably a contrasting color padded vinyl elk grain top , either dark brown or black. Most I've seen have yellow vinyl. I thought replacing the yellow vinyl would be easier & less expensive than adding a moonroof & by doing that I could uncover and repair if there was years of corrosion & rust from the vinyl's ability to trap water. I would sure appreciate any words of wisdom from the forum about the wiseness of making such a change & any other pitfalls I may encounter as well as an estimate of cost to have this done by a professional shop.
Many thanks
Bob

James Landi

My wife and I replaced a faux convertible roof on a 1983  Eldorado roadster... the vinyl needed to be replaced.  Here's what I can report.  The vinyl canvas-like roof covered the entire top of the car. The vinyl was contact cemented on to a fiberglass shell that provides an entirely unique profile for the roof.  When I was clearing off the vinyl from the fiberglass, I found some holes in the front section of the metal roof over the front windshield.  With some careful prying and pulling, I was able to break the glue line from the fiberglass and metal roof so I could repair the rust holes.

Some cautions:  my wife stitched up a new vinyl top, and we decided to add form padding-- researched glues--- bottom line:  it separated, glue did not hold up... had to strip off the new vinyl (junk) and padding (more junk), and my wife made another top.  This time we used CONTACT CEMENT... and it worked and is working well. However, the fiberglass shell must be perfectly smooth (every imperfection shows)
If you decide to do this work yourself, it is not easy, and if you frustrate easily, then I suggest that you purchase a car with a solid vinyl roof, and have someone PAINT it for you. Painting vinyl is doable and lasting IF done by a professional.   

James-
Thanks for your response & the idea of painting/staining the vinyl is a good one!
Thanks
Bob

J. Skelly

I had the padded top and astroroof seal replaced on my '77 Biarritz several years ago.  The top was dried up and cracking and the canvas cover of the sunroof seal was rotting away.  The sunroof seal was not available, so the shop used a fuzzy material, which is more prone to leaking than the original.  There was some surface rust to clean up before replacing the top.  I like the astroroof, but I'd rather not have to worry about leaks and mechanical issues with it later on.  If you buy one and add the sunroof, you will issues if the roof is not reinforced properly.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

bill06447

Your Astroroof seal is designed to be forgiving if a little water gets by-just make sure the drain tubes that lead from the rear of the roof well to the bottom off the quarter panel are clear (low pressure air will suffice)

Bill

J. Skelly

Bill,

You brought up a good point that I forgot to mention.  For those who don't know, there are drain holes in the two front corners, and the two rear corners, of the sunroof trough to let water drain away.  Air pressure is safer than using piano wire in clearing possible obstructions since you don't want to possibly damage the drain tubes.  If going with an aftermarket sunroof, make sure there are provisions to drain water away from the opening.  I also meant to say in the previous post that you will HAVE issues if the roof is not properly reinforced. 
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)