News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

58 Series 62 X Deck- 45yr garage queen

Started by Skwerly62, January 26, 2016, 08:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skwerly62

I just dragged home an all original 58 with 68,000 miles on the clock. I aquired it from the second owner who purchased it in 2001 from the original owners family. He removed the engine as it had a 'knock' and it has sat since.

It apparently was the Sunday driver of a prominent local attorney. It was given to his daughter upon his passing in the late 60's/early 70's. She and her husband didn't care for the car and it has been in a garage and off the road ever since. I get the pleasure of getting the beast back on the road!
It's not my first resto but certainly my first Caddy. It'll look great next to my 55 Belair.
1958 Extended Deck 62 Sedan SOLD
1960 Coupe - current project
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

One more picture
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Cadillac Jack 82

Looks nice!  Congrats on your new Caddy!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Skwerly62

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z2huxuwyceb2vcj/AABBn2x7Bdy16TgUOr9gOH3Ca?dl=0

Here's a link to a bunch of pics. Trying to start a 'before' folder so I can compare it when done. (Started cleaning up & painting the engine block and heads etc. prior to these pics.)
Chris
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Seville1957

Skwerly62

I just wanted to give a few before and afters for my paint revitalization. I cut the oxidizer ion and haze with Maguires Diamond heavy cut and it really shined up after two passes. I took fishchipper's advice and left the first hand-applied coat in for 24 hrs. The hood had some minor pitting that I wetsanded with 1500 first. I hit a few spots with number 7 and it really gives it some depth! Almost done with the whole car. Can't believe that 58yo paint came back to life.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

Hit the roof one more time with #7. Results are better than ever expected.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Jeff Wilk

Congratulations on an awesome find and on having a garage big enough to work in!!!  Ive had 7
58 Cadillacs and you wont find a smoother ride anywhere. It was really a transformational year in body style too. As you are doing, take TONS of pictures and ask LOTS of questions here. You found THE best place for answers particularly if you want to be back to OEM specs. 

Have fun!!!!

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Skwerly62

Thanks Jeff I really lucked out when I found this place. Was a former cabinetmaker shop with four garage bays down below. I'm hoping to have the 58 back on the road by summer thanks for the support!
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

fishnjim

I hope you have all the missing chrome and trim not shown.   
I was able to find some good used bumper parts, but had to pony up for a rechrome front center.  Then tend to get scraped front and back.   That rear center looks a little distorted and pitted but the ends are in real good shape.   They tend to rust in the crease.   
Hows the interior?
Looks like another survivor revives and survives.   Good luck.

Skwerly62

Sent the leaky dual-coupling Hydramatic to my local Trans Shop in Doylestown. John said 'No problem" as I dropped it off with a Fatsco total gasket kit. 2 weeks later the phone rings saying 'it's all done' and only the rock-hard gaskets needed to be replaced! Money well-spent. Cleaned it up today and gave her some new paint.

Jim I'm keeping her 'as-is' and cleaning/polishing her as best as she'll get with original paint. All the interior is there just needing a cleaning and a spot seam repair. Maybe a new headliner as the PO painted it with a rock and some Crayola tempra paint from pre-K. Only missing a hard to find quarter spear which is for this model only. 😤 Hope to get her running gear in soon and breathe some fire. Thanks and cheers!
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

Heart and legs back together! Hoping to see it back inside its body this weekend!
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

Engine and tranny in the car and bolted up. Just need to put the 'propeller shaft' back in its place and get the accessories on the front. Radiator should be back from flush and pressure test this week and new exhaust with resonators from Classic Exhaust Inc. (a site sponsor) just arrived. Getting closer.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

I just fitted in the dual exhaust system provided by Scott from Classic Exhaust Inc. of OH.  The aluminized system with resonators fit perfectly with every bend carefully bent by mandrel and slip joints nicely sized. Just needed to pick up some clamps (14) and fix a few rotted rubber hangars.
A side note: Scott mistakenly sent 57 tail pipes and shipped out the correct 58's without any hassle or extra cost. Give him a call for a better price than he posts on Ebay.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

The batmobile is on its way or already in Sweden to a new caretaker! Hope they enjoy and drive the heck outta him, and take the car to new level of restored. I needed to get him sold before I became attached, it was a dream to drive. Cheers and Happy New Year.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!

Skwerly62

So the car is now in Gothenburg. Hope it gets some meatballs.
USCG Vet - Fly CG!