News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 vacuum antenna

Started by MAX GRETENCORD, March 01, 2016, 08:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAX GRETENCORD

Anyone know the basics in repairing and restoring a 53 vacuum antenna?  I guess I would start by making sure I have up and down vacuum from the radio knob with the motor running..Then what? Is there a repair kit?...I hear a hissing sound when I pull and push the knob.  Waiting on the snow to leave South Bend, IN.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

MAX GRETENCORD

let me add another thought to my problem of the antenna not going up or down .......  Does the radio need to be turned on for the antenna to work?  My radio does not come on and is on my list of things to do.  I would think just the engine need to be on and providing vacuum to the radio input fitting.  Surely there is someone out there who has taken an antenna apart and can add something to my problem
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Warren Rauch #4286

Never use test equipment you don't have faith in. Use a different radio of the same kind if possible.
   The rebuild information Cadillac released  Serviceman May-June 1944,covered 1941-42 designs.  Serviceman Nov 1947 covered updated design,used thru 1953 with updates. Shop manual 1954 ,tweeked design used 54-55    Warren

Jay Friedman

Although they don't seem particularly complicated, vacuum antennas are best rebuilt by a pro.  (To my knowledge there are no kits.)  The best (maybe the only guy working on them) is Klaus Wojak, Box 553, Banner Elk NC 28604, tel: 828-898-9338 1:30-6:30 EST
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

BillR. CLC # 29203

I'd use this link to contact CLC Member CadillacTim:  http://cadillactim.com/page1.html

He's working on my son's '59 antenna after having completed the seat, wiper and door window motors.

BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

gary griffin

Max if you are hearing a hissing sound the valve in the radio must be working. Where does the sound seem to come from? It is quite possible your vacuum tubing is cracked, and on a car that old I would plan on changing all of it and then figure out the antenna. Try unplugging the hoses form the antenna and put a little air pressure (Just 1 or 2 PSI) through the tubing as it is easier a find a pressure leak than a vacuum leak.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

MAX GRETENCORD

Cadillac Tim's website shows only electric antennas......I didn't see anything about vacuum antennas.  Do you know if he also works on vacuum units.  I would like to fix it myself but if it needs parts I would need a resource.  Correct me if I am wrong...54 was the last vacuum unit
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

BillR. CLC # 29203

Max,
I don't know, but if he doesn't and knows somebody that does, I'm betting he'll tune you into someone who does.
Good luck.
BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: MAX GRETENCORD on March 13, 2016, 02:54:30 PM
  Correct me if I am wrong...54 was the last vacuum unit
55 was the last year for vacuum antenna.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

MAX GRETENCORD

Thanks to everyone for your help......I now have a clear path on where to begin if spring ever gets here.

Max.....   8)
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

MAX GRETENCORD

Today, in the mail I received an envelope from Warren Rauch with parts drawings and  service procedures to work on my 53 vacuum antenna.  Warren, you have gone out of your way to help me and I appreciate everything you have done.  It seems you have done things like this for other CLC members as I see your name pop up all of the time............thanks again 

Max
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Kirby

Sorry for bring up old post, just wondering how it went? I'm looking to do mine soon.
1953 Cadillac Model 62