News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bob Lutz R/T comments on Cad marketing

Started by 13912, October 27, 2016, 01:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Here are some more about the top 6 cars. On cost and features.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Whit Otis, 1188

The new "Cue" system is much improved.  The previous Cue system wasn't in the least intuitive.  My wife's 2012 SRX is prior to the  Cue system and is pretty easy to get the hang of just by punching around on it.  I have a 2016 loaner for a fre days with the Cue system and I pretty much figured it out on the drive from Denver to Co Springs.  I did have to stop to pair up my i phone as I didn't want to risk fooling around with while driving.  Without consulting the manual i had it paired in about 1 minute.
Whit Otis
Whit Otis -
1941 6219D Custom
1941 6219D
1940 7533F
1986 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
1999 Bentley Arnage
2019 XT5
Drawing of AP Sloan Custom by Terry Wenger

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: James Landi on October 29, 2016, 11:35:33 AM
By "nimble" I am suggesting that other luxury car makers have their "ear to the ground," listen to loyal past and present owners and don't ignore them--
My question was more why do you think Buick is/has been more "nimble" than Cadillac?  They, like Cadillac, have struggled in this changed US market and they, like Cadillac, have been trying to adapt but I don't necessarily see them doing any better or worse than Cadillac.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 55 cadi on November 01, 2016, 08:38:51 PM
And picture of car loyalty in buyers.
I think a reason for the high owner loyalty for Cadillac in the 1950s was because there were so few choices in the luxury car game then.   Basically you had just Cadillac, Lincoln and Packard.  Today, you have Cadillac and Lincoln plus many many competing imports.  Far more choices today.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Buick is doing a bang-up business in China - something like 4:1 compared US sales.

Much as I hate to admit it, I've found certain Buicks quieter and and better riding than Cadillac in more recent years. 

Later Cadillacs seem increasingly more oriented toward "performance" and less "traditional" luxury.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Agreed!  My neighbor is a regular new Buick buyer and your observations are right on in my view.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 55 cadi on November 02, 2016, 02:19:26 AM
Sorry it came out a little blurry.

If anyone wants more interesting info from that issue let me know, will post.

There is a page on frequency of different repairs between most makes
CU road tests
Transmissions
Hazards in design
4 groups of car pricing
Body dimensions in 4 door sedans
Best buys from said models, 62 series Cadillac was Best Buy out of all

Jason

do you have  scanner? Scan the relevant pages and we can pm you with our email addresses. I can also do the same for the April 1968 issue.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 03, 2016, 10:27:07 AM
Buick is doing a bang-up business in China - something like 4:1 compared US sales.

Much as I hate to admit it, I've found certain Buicks quieter and and better riding than Cadillac in more recent years. 

Later Cadillacs seem increasingly more oriented toward "performance" and less "traditional" luxury.

And.......

Buick has a Convertible in the lineup, which is something that has been sorely lacking in Cadillac since the mid 80s.

And no, a stratospherically priced two seater does not count (Allante or XLR, although the latter is appealing) because you can't do much with it. mb and bmw have at least a half dozen drop tops combined.

Where is Cadillac in this segment ?????????? ??????????

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike,

I could not agree more, Cadillac should manufacturer a four seat V-8 RWD convertible, maybe comparable to BMW6 series.

Since the new Camaro is based on the ATS platform and Camaro is now offered in a convertible, was thinking GM would re-skin the Camaro convertible, lengthen a bit, V-8 and badge it up a bit - and there you have it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 03, 2016, 10:27:07 AM
Buick likely wouldn't still exist today if not for its popularity in China.  Buick sales in China account for around 80% of the brand's total global volume right now and are at levels over there not seen in the states since their peak here in the mid 1980s.

James Landi

Gentlemen,

You're all providing vital input for a conversation with the marketing department at Cadillac.  You've many salient insights, and taken together I think you're far beyond the ancient mandates of the GM during the A.P.Sloane years.  And yes, more scanned articles from "Consumer's Union" will continue to drive the conversation.   

James

55 cadi

I have more but no way of scanning.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Chris Conklin

I would assume Cadillac listens to many voices when developing products and their public image. If we have their ear, and I think to an extent we do, we would be one small segment to consider in a world of varied consumers. There are a lot of global considerations to be made and tailored to specific markets. And yes, regulations that will vary from absolutely none to "holy cow, how do we get anything produced?!?" 

We now live in a time where many people feel as if the automobile has always existed and everybody always owned at least a couple of them. They know no different, just like TVs and washing machines. For possibly a couple generations at least, they ARE appliances. And in many ways, they are... Like an old Kenmore in the laundry room, they run and run without needing much attention and get you where you want to go in comfort (how many modern cars DO NOT have A/C, a head-bangin' stereo, and cruise control?).

But I am a person of great faith in our youth. I think "The Millenials" will surprise us all with a desire, respect, and yearning for the past. I can say that my daughters know that the past goes back well beyond the 1980s and 1990s. So many of them have had extended stays with their parents that they relate very well to our past!  ;D
Chris Conklin

Scot Minesinger

Chris,

I agree and have great faith in Millenials too, especially my three children.  On the subject of this post, they enjoy larger, powerful, and luxury cars.  They never fail to appreciate my 1970 Cadillacs. 

People who criticize the young, should remember they always seem to deliver because they have to, and it was said thousands of years ago "I don't know about the younger generation".  Cadillac is certainly on an ascent if nothing else by the improved product that speaks for itself.  I enjoy the marketing, because it saves me going to a dealer to see what the car looks like.  Beyond style and drivetrain, the marketing dos not impact me, and take over forming my own opinion based on experience, not marketing.

My children should be Cadillac buyers in the future.  By the time they buy them, though it will probably be a self driving mostly electric car world.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty