News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1958 Eldorado Seville - All Orig w/ 11,385 miles Offered

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, July 10, 2017, 02:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

This Saturday, July 15th at Grant Miller Auto Auction Lock Haven, PA.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/eldorado/1956034.html

This fine example was purchased new by Clyde J. Blesh who took the vehicle to Florida for the winter. Upon returning in the spring of 1959, with Cadillac only making 855 of that model, he decided to store it upstairs in the Central Fireproof Garage where he operated a Hudson dealership. The car continued to be stored on blocks until the early 1980's when the building was sold by his son, Edwin J. Blesh, who then built a garage designed to store the vehicle. The vehicle remains with the original tires, engine and parts only having routine maintenance performed. It has just 11,385 original miles and is as new as you might find. It was sold new at Talley Motor Company here in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania on January 14, 1958. The car was re-registered in 2016 by the 3rd generation of owners and is now being offered for sale. It is finished in the original Desert Bronze with a Copper vinyl roof and Copper-Silver Crest cloth and Copper Metallic leather interior. A once in a lifetime opportunity. 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville Coupe.

NOTE BLUE ROCKER COVERS WITH GOLD AIR CLEANER.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bill Young

They are only Factory original once. I wince to see what this baby will go for.

m-mman

Beautiful car. But the price? 
Pick a number - $50,000? $100,000? $150,000? more? And then compare that to what it would cost to restore one to this condition (yeah, I know, original vs restored) but likely the dollar amount would be similar . . .

When you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so expensive.  8)
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Jon S

Engine looks pretty dirty (greasy/rusty) for such low mileage and I thought grips on steering wheel were darker than rim like mine?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Jon,
I agree. That motor has LOTS of miles. Have the valve covers been repainted?? I'm sure there's other questionable items.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Would have to consult 1958 Data Book to determine the combination for this interior (assuming it's not an SO). 

Otherwise, the cosmetic deterioration shown underhood looks consistent for 60 year old car that had substantially been left alone and not periodically freshened up. It's obvious the car had not been detailed prior to running it across the block which is probably the best way to present such an example.

I noticed the hood pad is missing - possibly removed due to rodent damage which is not uncommon in cars that have been in long term storage.

Heavy wear areas like the steering wheel grips and driver's seat show extremely minimal wear. The grain on the grips is also very sharp and fresh - most are polished smooth. Vinyl top appears near perfect.

My money's on the mileage being legit.

Jon S

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 11, 2017, 08:43:44 PM

I noticed the hood pad is missing - possibly removed due to rodent damage which is not uncommon in cars that have been in long term storage

I didn't see any picture showing the hood pad(s). Are there additional pictures?

By the way, the yellow sticker on the generator only came on post 1958's or replacement generators.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Quote from: Jon S on July 11, 2017, 08:54:13 PM
I didn't see any picture showing the hood pad(s). Are there additional pictures?

Click on the link in the original post.

Jon S

Ah, thanks. Also, the VIN tag rivets look "strange."  Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice car.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Jon S

OK, the data tag rivets look strange.

Here's mine:
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Rivets originally had putty (sealer) stuck over them. 

On an all original 23,000 mile '59 Series 62 Coupe I owned, the sealer was also still there which looked exactly the same way. 

Jon S

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 11, 2017, 09:28:24 PM
Rivets originally had putty (sealer) stuck over them. 

On an all original 23,000 mile '59 Series 62 Coupe I owned, the sealer was also still there which looked exactly the same way.

Well my purchased new 1958 hasn't changed. See above picture.

Mine looks much crisper and look at the "NO" after paint and trim. Something is strange.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jon S

This is the steering wheel I expected:

And would expect an engine like this in a stored controlled environment:
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

According to the MPL all '58 Eldorado interior trims have single color steering wheels

Jon, the interior shown in your post above is not original. The leather is not Buffalo grain, the fabric is not crest cloth and the and there's no crest embossed on the seat back cushion.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

The engine compartment in the second example is not original.

Jon S

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on July 12, 2017, 07:27:38 AM
According to the MPL all '58 Eldorado interior trims have single color steering wheels

Jon, the interior shown in your post above is not original. The leather is not Buffalo grain, the fabric is not crest cloth and the and there's no crest embossed on the seat back cushion.

I just posted it to show the dual color steering wheel and the condition I would expect the engine appearance to be in. The engine looks like a 60,000 mile or higher. Also that data tag bothers me.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

INTMD8

The car looks great and the engine compartment looks -exactly- as I would expect.

Still looks very nice and would look amazing if detailed.

60 years is a long time to remain spotless, even if only 11k miles.

Really how can you win here. If it was spotless everyone would say it's not original.

Agreed on all points.

People forget these were just cars back in the day. Not the pampered pets they are now. All things considered, the engine compartment looks exactly as I would expect of unrestored after 60 years of age, especially with an oil breathing '50s engine.

Yellow warning silk screen label on generator is another good telltale of the life the car had.

Jon S

Many cars "back in the day" were pampered. My dad's Cadillac was his Sunday only car and only if it didn't rain. The data tag looks like this reproduction service's work:
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT