News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seville 1979 Restoration

Started by Matti R, September 23, 2020, 02:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti R

Interesting finding when repairing TH400:
Oil tube was damaged, and the stick did not move very well inside, so I need to replace that. When looking that closer, I noticed that the stick goes too deep inside the pan. Full mark is almost half inch below gasket level, when it should even or 1/4 ABOVE the gasket level. This means that when putting the oli level correct with this stick, actually it is too low. This could explain why the friction plates are damaged.
I will put new oil stick and the tube anyway.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

James Landi

DO you suspect that the tube was replaced too far in as a consequence of a prior transmission repair?  It's good to know that the car was not abused, but so sad that something this simple can create a huge repair challenge.  James

Matti R

Quote from: James Landi on November 11, 2020, 06:58:56 AM
DO you suspect that the tube was replaced too far in as a consequence of a prior transmission repair?  It's good to know that the car was not abused, but so sad that something this simple can create a huge repair challenge.  James
James,
it is difficult to say, at least with my knowledge, what really has happened. It seems that the stick and the tube do not match. Tube is in its place, but the stick goes too deep. I replaced them, but it was quite difficult to fit Mr Gasket tube into limited space between the transmission and the car body.
Center support was not tightly in its place due to broken screw, that is fatal damage. But I can not say when that has happened. I replaced the oil pump in tranny as well as it was quite worn.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

Matti R

TH400 repair got completed without major problems. It was not so difficult with help of several Youtube-videos and handbooks. ( Actually I liked it so much that I bought three spare transmission to be rebuilt.) Installing the tranny with filler tube was a pain, because standard Mr Gasket tube does not fit very well. I had to bend it several times and still it is not good. I made test drive 3-4 miles, and it works ok.

I renewed the exhaust pipes because they were rusted badly. I got new pipes, custom-made to fit Seville.  Mufflers were in good condition so I kept them. Still some fine-tuning is needed to get rid of some extra noise. There is still some noise coming from right exhaust manifold area, need to study that more.

Now I was able to test how efi works with new coolant temp sensor. And it really works! It is like a different car. Starts nice and idle is very stable. My Seville is 79 California version, so it has closed-loop EFI with oxygen sensor in exhaust manifold. And there is no air pump system at all.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

James Landi

Terrific... Your efforts have paid off, and another fine Cadillac has been preserved.   You're clearly rewarded for your perseverance and exceptional talents.  As you now know, When these cars are running correctly, they are a joy to drive and admire.    James

Matti R

Quote from: James Landi on November 27, 2020, 08:13:54 AM
Terrific... Your efforts have paid off, and another fine Cadillac has been preserved.   You're clearly rewarded for your perseverance and exceptional talents.  As you now know, When these cars are running correctly, they are a joy to drive and admire.    James
Thanks James,
It really felt great to get it moving! Still lots of work ahead.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

James Landi

Matti-

LOve those shiny parts, and the chassis looks to be in reasonably good condition.  One of the fatal flaws on these cars was chassis rust through...of course, you won't use it on salty winter roads--- corrosion and rust will take hold. Keep us up to date on your amazing efforts--- it's great fun to monitor your progress.   Happy day,  James   

Matti R

Some update about Seville reparation project.

It feels like wherever I look there is something not functioning in this car.

Today I had a chance to make some test driving in the streets near the garage. Transmission works quite ok. Feeels like there is little power in the engine. I checked ignition timing was ok, and vacuum advance works. Looks like mechanical advance does not work at all. I assume there is mechanical advance inside Hei distributor, need to check that.

Exhaust noise is coming from the connection between the exhaust manifold and the pipe. One of the three bolts is broken inside the manifold and two bolts are not enough to hold it tight enough. Not so nice, but at least I know where the noise is coming from.

During test drive I learned that the front brakes work ok, but almost nothing is happening at rear. Emergency brake wires and levers work, but it can not hold the car in place when gear is on. I need to remove the rear wheels and see what is happening there, if anything.

Emergency brake release does not work. I checked the vacuum release unit with vacuum and no action. Vacuum hose from NSS to brake release works ok, but there was no vacuum coming to NSS. NSS works ok, can`t start with gear on. Replacing that brake release vacuum unit should be possible without removing the whole mechanism, I hope.

Annoying problems are driver`s door lock and sun visors. Door opens only from outside. Need to open the door panel and to go inside the door.
Driver side sun visor was damaged in seams so I took to upholstery shop.
Passenger side sun visor is annoying because it does not stay fully up. Tightening the screw does not help because it is broken inside. The metal part that holds it up is broken into two pieces. I will try to put there some additional support. Mirror cover did not work because the plastic hinge was broken on one side. Luckily the missing part was found inside and I managed to glue it back and get it working. It is nice system with lamps with two levels of brightness!

Driver`s safety belt does not come out. A bit difficult to work with that because the seat is difficult to move. The housing for 6way seat transmission under the seat is cracked and does not hold the gears in place. I noticed there is 3D print ABS housing available in eBay, that looks interesting.

But I managed to get windshield washer to work. I took external system with pump and plastic bag which was installed in my Eldo when I bought it, and now it works in Seville. Must have this in MOT test.

I put priority to pass MOT test in order to get the car registered. Rear brakes, safety belt, driver door, and steering column must be fixed before that. The rest can be made later.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

James Landi

Matti,

The lack of power might be an issue with a clogged catalytic converter or the heat riser valve on the exhaust being partially closed. I own a high mileage Cadillac that had these  issues.  Those infernal sun visors can be impossible to repair.  On my '85 Cadillac convertible, I finally added a button snap used on boat canvas to hold it up and in place--- no amount of effort on my part to  figure out how to get sufficient friction worked.  I suspect he door opening challenge is not a major issue.  I had a '67 Eldorado that used engine vacuum to actuate the door locks, and on occasion, the locks would "deploy," and I would have to climb out the driver window... It was impossible to manually lift the lock button once the vacuum was applied.  James 

dgll411

just wondering if you did business with lseat and if so, How did it go?

Matti R

Quote from: dgll411 on January 14, 2021, 08:43:39 PM
just wondering if you did business with lseat and if so, How did it go?
Hi Danny,
Yes I bought the front seat covers from Lseat. They arrived but I have not yet started  assembly. The shape and seams look exactly similar to original. Leather is not gloss like the old one in my Seville. I hope to install them during the spring.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

dgll411

thanks. I've read good and bad reviews.

Matti R

I finally found some motivation to dig into the passenger sun visor repair. The visor was not staying up against the headlining but was falling down too much. Tightening of the screw did not help. I have understood it is quite common problem.

I found out the the metal piece inside the visor was broken so the visor itself was not strongly connected to the visor holder in the roof, and the weight of mirror and lamps made it hanging. I had to open the fabric of the visor a bit, and then I was able to repair the broken metal part with JB weld and small thin piece of metal. Looks like it works.
The hinge for the mirror cover was broken as well, but luckily the cracked plastic piece was still inside and I managed to glue it back. My wife will be happy next summer with sunvisor not hitting her head, and the vanity mirror with lights! I hope the car is ready for use by next summer.......
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

Matti R

Small update from Seville project:
I noticed that the small rubber cap front of windshield was dried and cracked, and it was sure leaking water through it. Probably that is not so dangerous, but I think the cap is not there for fun.
There was manufacturer name and the part number in the back. With google I found out that the company still exists and I sent email with photo to customer service. Next day I received a very polite answer that this cap has not been in production for long long time, but by chance he has found one sample from his shelves, and he could send it by mail free of charge. What a great service! Now I have that cap installed.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

James Landi

Hi Matti,

Good work with those nearly impossible sun visors-- I did get to the point that nothing worked to keep my passenger side in place by attempting all manner of "work arounds" to create sufficient friction from the outside.  I settled for a mechanic boat canvas snap.  Regarding your rubber plug, have to wonder just what was the "intended purpose" for that rather large sized hole.  There must have been some reason design and create the hole there.  Happy day,  James

35-709

Someone here will know, but my guess is windshield wiper linkage access.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2