News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 355A generator and drive removal procedures

Started by Thomas B., August 04, 2017, 03:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas B.

Can anyone tell me how to properly remove the generator from this 355A v-8? It is not explained in the manual.  T. Brown

31caddy

1) Disconnect the battery
2) Remove the wire from the cut out switch on top of the generator that goes to the starter switch. Note that this wire is hot to the battery, thus the reason for step 1.
3) Remove the passenger side engine splash pan if it is not already missing from your car.
4) Drain the water from the radiator via the drain petcock located in the elbow on the r/h side of the block aft of the generator.
5) Remove the piece of radiator hose that runs front to back directly underneath the generator. The reason for items 4 and 5 is that once you remove the generator you will be unable to get it clear of the car with the hose there. Trying to come out the top will scratch paint. It is heavy!
6) Remove the three bolts/nuts attaching the generator to the accessory drive case, and drop the generator out of the bottom. Do not disturb the water pump.
The generator is driven by laminated shear shims that go into a slot in the generator drive shaft and into the center of the chain driven accessory gear. You will see/understand this when you remove it. Take the top mounting bolts out first. Get the one on the bottom last while lying on your back and supporting the generator with one hand. Do not let the weight of the generator hang on the drive shims. Support it, and pull it straight aft until clear, and all will be well. A new mounting gasket is available from Olsons gaskets.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Thomas B.

OK.  So far I have done everything that you said.  I have left the bottom bolt in place but loose.  The generator does not seem to want to move.  I did not know if I should pry the edge of it for tap it with a plastic hammer to loosen it.  Is it chain dirivin?  And if so, how do I get the chain back on .  I have to take the water pump drive off as well as it is leaking and that is another issue I have to deal with.  I have no idea what is in there for seals???  Sorry to sound like a dummy.  I have been working on old cars for over 45 years but this one is new to me and the manual does not give enough information.  T. Brown.

31caddy

Attached is a picture of the drive end of a 1931 Cadillac 355A generator. Notice how simple it is. See the slot in the end of the shaft. Some thin laminated shims go in that slot. The other end of the shims go into the center of the generator drive gear - the gear being driven by the chain. The shims are just strips of metal about an inch long. They are designed to shear if the generator locked up - better than messing up chains/gears, etc. I have no idea why your generator wont just fall off - I changed the leaking gasket on mine where it mounts about a month ago. If you're sure you got all three bolts off, take a hammer and block of wood and give it a wack. The drive shims  will either come out with the generator or stay in the drive gear. The chain and drive gear are not touched in the removal of the generator or water pump.
As a side note, the generator pictured is missing a support bushing that slides on the end of the stub shaft and it is retained by a circular clip on the end of the shaft. When you get yours off, just make sure there is a brass bushing and wire clip on the end of the shaft.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Thomas B.

Thanks.  I got it out OK.  Also took the water pump off as it was leaking where the packing is.  I have ordered all new gaskets and packing.  Someone had already been in there and replaced the bushing.  Don't understand why they would put it all back together with old gaskets and old packing????.  Thanks for your help.  T.Brown.

ClintMy

Quote from: Thomas B. on August 09, 2017, 11:59:11 AM
Thanks.  I got phenq here it out OK.  Also took the water pump off as it was leaking where the packing is.  I have ordered all new gaskets and packing.  Someone had already been in there and replaced the bushing.  Don't understand why they would put it all back together with old gaskets and old packing????.  Thanks for your help.  T.Brown.

Hi Thomas, where did you order the gaskets from?