News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 and 1957 Eldorados

Started by SK903, August 17, 2017, 02:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

In your opinion are these two cars restorable?
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

First of all, ANYTHING can be restored if you have deep pockets and want to
throw more money at the project than makes any sense.  By "sense" I mean
spending $3-$400,000 for a professional restoration on a car worth a max of
$135,000 (approximate).  I've seen much worse that these restored to 100
points however these were very rare "one off" cars -- which neither of these
are.

From very limited info you provided (one photo each) my impressions are:
1)  The 1956 looks like it would not be a sensible project to undertake.
2)  The 1957 looks "promising", in that it seems to have all of the major
body and trim parts (assuming the engine bay has the engine in it and
major parts).

That's my best "guesstimate" and it's worth what you've paid for it!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

SK903

Thanks Mike for your input. Much appreciated.
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

cadillac ken

Agree with Mike.  If its the challenge you seek and the money is not an issue, then there are a whole host of cars out there for sale.  But restoration is an expensive business.  The more limited the production of any model also means the more limited the parts available will be--- and the more expensive those parts are going to be.

If you expect to get any kind of return on your labor and $$ either car will have to be done correct and near perfect. And that can get really costly.  I think Mike's estimates are pretty well founded.  Sadly that's where we are nowadays.  The '57 looks interesting but the costs are making even a decent looking car inconsiderable.  Too bad really.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Mike's comments are spot on.

Stick with the better "turn key" examples and/or those perhaps needing a few odd mechanical repairs and so forth. Every extra dollar spent up front will pay off handsomely in the long run.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

59-in-pieces

Jon,
Well, the chum has been cast, and I - the contrarian - will take the bait.
From my, view there are two components to offering up an opinion to your question: 1. the cost of the parts, and 2. your skill level to handle the hands on repairs - labor being the more costly .
If you don't have number 2, then stop and walk away.
Although, if you had the $300,000 as was suggested, I know I could restore a pile of ashes into the former car - and so could you.
There is a number 3, but I think you have it and that is the willingness to save and restore cars like these, without I hope,, a sole motivation of a monetary return on your efforts - since it's only a hobby, not a job after all.

I don't want to bad mouth the 56, but it does look tougher - on both levels mentioned above.
On the other hand, the 57 looks more intact, although it is "only a Seville" - I'll get letters on that - the missing key restoration parts will be more pricey and harder to find.

Bottom line - If you have the skills - If the Seville is mostly there - If you are not too mercenary - If you enjoy putting Humpty Dumpty back together for the personal satisfaction, THEN negotiate the best deal you can on the Seville and start your journey to happy motoring of "your own" handy work.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

SK903

Thank you all for your replies. I will look for a complete one.
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz