News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Headlight aiming

Started by tturley, November 16, 2017, 09:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturley

I want to aim the headlights on my 40 Lasalle and my shop manual says center of hotspot should be 32" from ground and 46 1/4 between but does not say from what distance.
A knowledgeable person told me 25 feet but I would like to verify that.
Anyone know?
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

TJ Hopland

That sounds like its in the ballpark of how I have done it.    Assuming you have level ground to work on like say in front of your garage door I use those measurements to put tape marks on the door and start out up good and close.  I then back up to that 20' range and tweak as needed. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

What I used to do was go down to the warehouse areas and stand back about 50 feet from a wall, and aim my lights so that they weren't up too high, and blinding.   Then drive towards said wall and view the pattern the lights made.

These days the warehouses all seem to be fenced off, so I head out to the open road, and do virtually the same.   The exercise it to not be so high that the drivers ahead of you, or coming towards you aren't blinded.

Can't help the people in the low-slung sports cars, as it takes a distance for them to be out of the range.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

tturley

Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

TJ Hopland

Sounds like Bruce has a similar method.   I start close for the initial alignment because up close its easy to see the hot spot.  As you back up you can observe what is happening and see where the hot spot goes and then make slight tweaks as needed. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason