News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hand Brake Light Fix

Started by stzomah, September 11, 2017, 12:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stzomah

I noticed the HBL was not working.  I just redid the dashboard last year (see thread on this forum) so it could have never been the light bulb!  Anyway, I dug into the hand brake switch.  I noticed a Tan wire connecting to the switch.  The switch was stuck to begin with but even when I freed the plunger, the light did not work.  I pulled out the schematic and traced the wire back to the light bulb socket on the back for the instrument cluster.

Looking at the schematic, I was dismayed.  Reading the schematic, I should see 2 wires (pink and tan).  I only see 1.  I used an ohm meter and verified that the other leg of the switch goes to ground.  The schematic does not show the wiring correctly.  I updated (rough sketch) my correction below.

I pulled the switch and sprayed it heavily with contact cleaner and switch lubrication.  It works like new.  I then reinstalled everything but still no light!  Darn, I checked for power, I checked for ground….I wonder???  Well the only thing to check is the bulb…  It was blown!  So much for my quality control!  I was SURE I replaced all the bulbs when I did the dashboard restoration.  I missed one!  Everything works well now…
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

stzomah

1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975