News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Front Bumper Replacement

Started by stzomah, August 29, 2017, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stzomah

I had a re-chrome job done back in 1980.  I totally disassembled all chromed metal on the car and took it to a local (Millville NJ) plater.  Everything was in really good shape (no heavy rusting).  The place did a pretty poor job on the plating but it stopped it from more rusting and it was sort of shiny?

Jump 27 years later…  I am surfing Ebay as I normally do and up comes this awesome 56 front bumper.  A plater in CA had it offered at a great price and was willing to ship it across the country to me in Jersey!  I know It was a risk but after speaking with him on the phone for a ½ hour, I liked the guy…WTH  I bought it.  It arrived a week later.

WOW… my first impression was how he wrapped it for shipping.  He put a 2X4 into the bottom section and wrapped it with bubble and then wrapped in shrink wrap!  The bumper ends came in a heavy cardboard box that accompanied the wide bottom section.  But when I got to un-wrap everything…That was the real excitement.  The bumper was in pristine condition and was chromed immaculately!  What a deal it was!  I felt great.

It sat in my garage about a year till last weekend.  I just finished rebuilding the rear and leaf springs (other blog) and had a few days free.

I rolled the front end up on ramps to get better access.  I took pictures to show when I possibly sell the original bumper.  I also took many pictures prior to disassembly.  That is very useful when I get amnesia during the assembly process!  I may have inhaled too much undercoating the previous weekend?

I enlisted my wife to help me remove the last 2 bolts holding it on the car.  It has to come out a half inch, then down to clear the fender chrome pieces on the sides.  She did great considering this thing weighs a 100 pounds or more.

I used an air ratchet to disassemble the bumper on the ground outside.  I set up a long folding table with a furniture blanket to protect my new bumper in the garage.  I systematically removed each bolt then moved to the folding table and set up the assembly using the new bumper parts.  I only needed to reuse the bumper end top moldings from my original bumper.  My nifty purchase somehow did not include them :-\.  Mine were in good shape.  I taped and sprayed the backs with Rustoleum to prevent continued oxidation.

I took a wire brush to a few steel parts and shot them with flat black Rustoleum.  Parts like the main support brackets and the small grill hold downs we brushed and sprayed.  I remember taking the grille apart as a 20 year old back in 1980.  I did not want to do that again!  I just cleaned it up and reset some of the slats.

Aligning the bumper parts was a little tricky.  I have seen other 56 bumpers that just do not look right.  The center bar is not correctly aligned and droops down.  I was sure to assemble and tighten specific bolts to make things align.  I had to loosen and repeat a few times.  That center bracket has a slot in the top.  I used some wood blocks to spread the cross bar from the bumper bottom to get the proper uniform alignment.  I used a tape measure to ensure it was spaced correctly across the entire width.

Once I got this thing together on the table, I stood back and looked at it.  What a piece of automotive jewelry!  It is just totally stunning!  I just had an eyeful of Cadillac history at the recent GN show.  50’s Cadillac’s have the most ornate massive chromed front bumpers in history.  Harley Earl was a true genius.  The design is both one of aviation engineering and bit sexual.  I have heard them called the May West bumper!

I asked both my wife and daughter to help put it back on the car!  It was easy once I got the inner fender sheet metal going the right way!  All that was left to do was a use little window cleaner for the finger prints!

Anyone interested in a used 56 bumper in good shape?  Needs chrome job.
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

Daddio

I love those dagmars!! 
It's good advise for anyone who's thinking of rechroming their bumpers, to take LOTS of pictures before / during tear down. 
I thought I had when I did mine years ago. But when I got them back weeks later,  I couldn't believe how many different ways they could go back together.
Now for your rear bumper!! Good luck.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz