News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Progress on '37 LaSalle Coupe

Started by carlhungness, September 15, 2019, 05:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

Have just removed fenders and radiator shell from my '37 coupe. I used Aircraft Stripper on everything but will still take it to the 'blaster' to have it gone over once again. I have recently seen blasting done with ground glass that is most effective and I spoke with the local man who brings his rig to your house to do the job. Upon pressing him he did admit to warping a couple of Mustang doors when he first started. I looked at some of his Facebook videos and it appears as though he is now journeyman enough to keep the panels straight. The sheet-metal on the LaSalle is about 0.050" thick so I'm not too worried. Plus, 99% of all the paint is already gone. I am anxious to get this sheet-metal into primer. You can see the swiss-cheesed front fender chevron area I made in order to get my turn-signals to work but the holes don't show once the chevrons are on. The rear fender area on the body does have some rust spots so it'll be a test of my oxy-acetylene skills to see if I can do the repairs without warpage. I just bought a number "0" tip for my torch and will use some 1/16" TIG rod (ER70-6 for your reference). I'll cut some new metal and see if I can do the repairs without too much hassle. Luckily the repairs on the fender area are covered by the fenders. But I do have to replace the left side quarter panel and may resort to the MIG welder for that part since I don't have a TIG machine. I don't have much experience using lead but there is an area under the left tail-light assembly that's gone, so I'll try my hand at that repair and won't tell you if I had to use any bondo filler or not.