News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

RediRad AM/N install in a 56 Cadillac

Started by stzomah, September 11, 2017, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stzomah

I did a tube radio restoration about a year ago (look up on this forum) and found that there is nothing on AM radio that I want to listen to.  I bought a RediRad AM/N unit and installed it under the dash.  I mounted it on one of the 2” ducts for the defroster with 2 zip ties.  I used a fuse tap they provided that worked nicely on the Antenna fuse.  I used heat shrink on the projecting copper and it looks very nice.  Almost looks stock!  The rest of the install was very simple.

Now that I had the converter mounted, I really needed to finish the radio restoration by installing the vintage rear speaker.  Back in 1977 (high school), I installed a Kraco Coaxial 6X9 speaker in the rear deck.  It worked great with the Pioneer Supertuner Cassette deck I had on a slide mount under the dash.  40 years later, that is long gone and I’ve gone to bone stock.  I found the original green wire that leads from the radio amplifier section (behind the front speaker in the dash), to the rear speaker.  The hardest part was re-soldering the wire to the original bayonet connector.  I needed a lot of heat out of my little soldering iron!  There is a connection on the bottom of the amplifier section (on the large transformer) that the bayonet connects to.  The speaker end, be sure to connect the negative terminal to ground.

Total success…  I was riding around listening to 21 Pilots off of my Ipad!  There’s something I did not foresee in High School!
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

2manycars

That looks like a power amp section driven by two 6V6 power tubes. If that's what that is, it must sound fantastic. 10 real watts of tube audio!
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

J. Gomez

Quote from: 2manycars on September 17, 2017, 12:50:40 AM
That looks like a power amp section driven by two 6V6 power tubes. If that's what that is, it must sound fantastic. 10 real watts of tube audio!

Bill,

Remember the '56 is a 12V car the 6V6 are 6V filaments, so those are the next generation tubes 12V6GT.

;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

2manycars

Yup -- same tube, higher voltage filaments. I've heard those sets sound fantastic.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

gatech1956

Do you have a picture of how you hooked up the redi rad to the fuse panel?