News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 cad anyone know what this

Started by 60eldo, October 14, 2017, 05:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

I was pulling off my front brake drums when I took off the dust cap this copper thing fell out and now I dont know whats its for and how does it go back in,,,is it nessesary.
Jon. Kluczynski

Bobby B

Quote from: 60eldo on October 14, 2017, 05:33:10 PM
   I was pulling off my front brake drums when I took off the dust cap this copper thing fell out and now I dont know whats its for and how does it go back in,,,is it nessesary.

Static Eliminators......
Yes, they were OEM, but most mechanics took them off the first time they did a bearing job on the front hubs. The purpose of them was to offer a low resistance path to ground for static that is generated by the rubber tires to dissipate to ground. The static charge would eventually dissipate without them once the voltage was high enough jump through the grease in the bearings, but the static collectors were supposed to keep it bled down. The only purpose was to make the AM radio reception better. The same reason all the ground straps, ignition shielding and condensers were installed all over the car. They were trying to stop the "pops and crackles" that are so annoying on AM radios.
                             Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

60eldo

Thanks, I took the nut and cotterpin out cause I was hearing some noise intermittantly, in dr side front wheel, and now I can get the bearing out. Shouldnt it just slide right out?
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

The bearing cone should slide right out, and if it doesn't, something is wrong.   Possible cruddy, dirty grease stuck to the spindle, or wear build-up on the spindle from a spinning inner ring.

Love the way the factory tried every means possible to limit static electricity.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60eldo

Yes it all started cause when I was driving I heard like metal on metal grind, so I started taking the dr side wheel off but the bearing is stuck, I think its broken in side. So how to get it out any ideas?
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

If it won't come off when simply removing the nut, then the only way to get the hub off will be to use a large slide hammer.

BUT, have you backed off the brake shoes via the adjuster?   It could be that there is a lip in the back of the drum, caused by natural wear of shoe on drum.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

60eldo

Haha wish I had a slide hammer, even better, I wish I knew what a slide hamer was, I will look into this and about the brake shoes thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: 60eldo on October 14, 2017, 05:33:10 PM

They're ninja stars. ;)
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Jon S

If you try to pull the wheel off it should pop out.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

fishnjim

They're ball bearings and not like the modern roller cone setup that slips out.   The brake drum is pressed on the hub, so you have to remove as one piece.   So the brake adjuster needs to be detensioned.   Get a shop manual first.   I can copy the pages, if you need ASAP.

60eldo

Ok, Im gonna try again this afternoon, So I took the nut and washer off maybe I can tap it from the back with a sledge hammer, I think the bearing is whats holding it on.
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

OK I got the drum off by tapping from the back of the drum. Looks like the reason it would not come off is the outer race bearring was stuck to the shaft. Looks like no damage done maybe I will try rubbing some fine steel wool on the shaft and the inside of the bearring.  Tryed that it still wont go on the shaft unless I force it. Should I try to find another race bearing? And should the outer race bearing slide on and be able to spin freely.  Thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

60eldo

OK I inspected the bearing and found this. Looks not good, that must have been the grinding noise I heard.
Jon. Kluczynski

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, definitely make grinding noises.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bobby B

Quote from: 60eldo on October 15, 2017, 06:42:06 PM
   OK I inspected the bearing and found this. Looks not good, that must have been the grinding noise I heard.

I would think so...... :o
                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Cadillac Jack 82

Keep those static collectors they are hard to find.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

asavage

Quote from: 60eldo on October 15, 2017, 06:42:06 PM
While searching for information about "radio static collectors" today, I ran across this thread, and it brought to mind my experience with my '59 Cadillac Eldorado Seville, which I owned in 1980-81. 

For many years, Cadillac installed a "radio static collector" spring in the front wheel bearing grease cap.  At some point, this spring was discontinued, but I was sufficiently surprised by seeing one installed that the memory remains more than forty years later.

As shown in the exploded view above, Cadillacs through 1959 used ball bearings on the front wheel hubs.  These had a short service life.  For 1960, Cadillac finally updated to roller bearings.  (and full-flow oil filters, and self-adjusting drum brakes, and . . . )  More friction but also more bearing contact area: higher load rating.

At the time, I believe I was unable to find direct roller bearing replacements that would fit the '59 hubs.  After two ball bearing failures on mine, I upgraded my '59 to a pair of junkyard-sourced 1961 DeVille front hubs :)  Much improved durability.  I sold the car in late 1981, I believe.