News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Number of Keys 1969 Limo

Started by DylanFan52, October 17, 2017, 12:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DylanFan52

After 24 years I finally have decided to sell my dad's 1969 Cadillac limo that has been sitting in a garage.  Unfortunately the keys are lost but it is unlocked.  I think there were two keys, one for the door/trunk and one for the ignition.  Am I correct?  Also any suggestions would be appreciated.  There is not a locksmith in my area.  I am looking at buying  new cylinders for the ignition.  I know I cannot install them but would it be hard for someone who knows that they are doing to install them?  Thanks!

Ken Perry

One key fits ignition & door, the rectangle key and the other is trunk and glove box. If the locks have not been messed with you can get a key made for the door and it should fit ignition also. A good locksmith souldn't have to take the lock out of the door. You also can take the lock out of the door and it should have numbers on it that they can make a key with. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

Lexi

If the "limo" is indeed a Series 75, and is also constructed like some older models, it may have come with a 3rd key set; one for a rear passenger door, but will not run the ignition as I recall. The Chauffeur had that one, (rectangular shaped front door and ignition only key). Yes, there was also the trunk/glovebox key, (round shaped),  thus making 3 sets as I recall for some limos. Don't know about 1969 model year key sets though. I mention this as when you have a key cut for the ignition/front door, don't be surprised if it does not fit the rear door. That may be normal in your case. Also, some limos did not have a lock in one of the rear doors, just the push button for the thumb, (as there was no keyway as no lock cylinder/tumbler). That is also normal, and if that is the case with your car don't ask nor expect the locksmith to change all cylinders to be key alike, as that would be incorrect for the car. Again, not 100% for 1969 Series 75 Limousine cars, but I have outlined a possible scenario. Clay/Lexi

Bill Young

There were two Series 75 models. The Series 75 Sedan and the Series 75 Limousine. 7523 and 7533. The Series 75 Sedan was usually purchased by Funeral Homes or Owner driven cars because this model does NOT have a window separating the front from the rear compartment. Also unlike the Limousine the front seat is not leather but rather has the same cloth that the rear seat has. The interior lights also work differently between the two models and lastly the right rear door of the Limousine had a door lock with a separate key that the Owner could retain to lock the rear compartment separately for security. Given that the 1969 Cadillac in question is most likely the Sedan as there was no mention of a rear door lock. I see series 75 Sedans referred to as Limousines frequently however many do not know most of the Cadillac model designations such as when I see an add for a "Coupe DeVille Convertible".

TonyZappone #2624

Perhaps it would be easier to equate the number of keys to whether a 75 series car has a division window or not.  When their is a division window, 7519F, 7533, etc.  then the owner passenger has an "owner'" key to provide access to the rear door, trunk and glovebox.  Chauffeur has the squarish key for front door, and ignition.  This setup provides the owner with his own secure areas when the division window is up, and items could be secured in the rear seat, the trunk and/or the glovebox.  This is what I recall from the two 56 Derham 7533 cars that I owned.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

DylanFan52

Thanks to all who responded.  The information had been helpful.  The car does have a window separating the driver and the passenger section.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Yes - 3 keys for Series 75 Limousine (w/division window); 2 keys for Series 75 Sedan (w/o division).

Right rear door has its own lock cylinder on Limousine model. Third key operates this lock only- not any of the other locks on the car.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

The key blanks for 1969 are GM E & H. E for Engine and H for hood / trunk (& doors).  1967 was A & B; 1968 was C & D; and 1970 was J & K, then they went back to A & B...

The rectangular E key is for the ignition only. The main H key opens the front doors, trunk and glove box. The second H key is for the rear door, if you have a lock on the rear door, that will be different than the front doors.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike