News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

SRX two Catalytic converters "Woe is I"

Started by James Landi, October 19, 2017, 08:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

One catalytic converter down and yet another to go on my  2006 SRX (w. 70K miles)... with one of the four oxygen sensors needing replacement.   I can't recall the estimate for replacement at the dealership--- my memory is blocked... a local independent made the driver's side replacement for under $1,000... now a few months later, the passenger side is lighting up the code reader...   Anyone have experience with this product?  https://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-Catalytic-Converter-Cleaning-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92/ref=sm_n_au_dka_US_pr_con_0_0?adId=B002BVXM92&creativ

Gene Beaird

Not familiar with that product, so I can't comment on it.  I'd be more concerned why your parts are failing.  You don't mention what year, but converters and O2 sensors should easily last 100K miles, and then some. 

You also don't mention the mileage on the vehicle, but emission equipment have extended warranty periods over the rest of the vehicle, so I'd make sure your converters aren't still covered.  That said, you need to find out why your converters are failing.   Are you running 'crap' gas in the car?  I'd get a scan tool on it to make sure it's running properly.  It may be running too rich for some reason, which will burn up a converter quickly.  You either have an intermittent miss, failed fuel pressure regulator, or leaking injectors.  It could also be as simple as a very dirty air filter. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

James Landi

Hi Gene---

Thanks for the suggestions--- the car has 70,000 miles, is an '06, with a 6 cylinder engine and most of the driving in the past two years has been highway.  I had the car tuned at a Cadillac service about a year ago at 60,000 miles.  It has, since new, burned a quart of (synthetic) oil every 1,500 miles-- and we religiously change the oil/filter every 3,000 miles (very costly).   Aside from the check engine light, the car runs well, and smoothly.  I agree with you that at 70,000 miles, one should not have to replace these components.   Gratefully,   James

Caddyholic

I have never used this but may try it. Does it use a little anti freeze? I had a pontiac 3800 the would use a little and that clogged up 2 converters.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

tripwire

Jim,
I'm thinking the oil consumption may be a contributor to the short life of you cats.  A quart every 1500 miles is a lot of oil being burned and the residue has to end up somewhere.  It's not like the old days where cars looked like crop-dusters going down the road.  The cat operates at a high temp and finishes burning the oil but the residue stays in the cat.  Just my 2¢

WParo in VT
Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom