News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Barrett Jackson Las Vegas

Started by STS05lg, October 20, 2017, 03:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS05lg

FYI, a 1964 Sea Foam Green with white top Fleetwood just went across the action block at approximately 3:35 EST with a selling bid of $32,500. When they shot under the hood there were several AACA badges attached to the radiator housing. Went to fast to see what they were. Had a wonderful cloth and leather interior also in a light green.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Holy moley.  :o :o :o  Offered without reserve no less. Seller is sure to be celebrating tonight- after tipping the auctioneer $500.

BTW- total is $35,750 with buyer's fee - must be a record.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-CADILLAC-FLEETWOOD-210072

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeepers Creepers

Ha, 1964 Fleetwood.... be worth every cent.  ;)
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

Big Apple Caddy

This car last sold at a RM auction in Arizona in early 2010 for $29,700 w/ buyer premium.  Adjusting for inflation puts the 2010 figure at around $34,000 today.

Jeepers Creepers

Is the auctioneer on drugs?

I know they have a lot to put through, but he uses that dribble that no-one can understand.... at least I can't.... maybe its me.  :-\
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 20, 2017, 04:53:32 PM
Is the auctioneer on drugs?   I know they have a lot to put through, but he uses that dribble that no-one can understand.... at least I can't.... maybe its me.  :-\
You should go to a Livestock Auction.   Those Auctioneers are impossible to understand.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

A good auctioneer is worth his weight in gold. Judging from this particular sale, it's difficult to fault the man.

V63

Should there be an interest:

black (original finish) 1964 Flwd 60s , part of an estate liquidation. It has 12,000 actual miles. Mint Sandle wood leather interior. I’ve known this car since it had 5,000 miles and owned by another CLC member a decade ago. Turn key driver.

The car has no vinyl top. The original lacquer paint has issues, best consider it a 10 footer. Very nice chrome. Authentic and 1964 correct 820/15 US royal tires. I’ll post pictures next week some time.

Other Cadillacs too, I’ll post in for sale column for political correctness.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

This car is exactly like one that belonged to a CLC member and was shown in Lancaster PA in 1993. At the time it was newly restored and absolutely beautiful. I saw the car at several CLC and AACA meets for about ten years after. If it is the same car, it's held up remarkably well.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Steve Passmore

Certainly an impressive collection overall.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on October 20, 2017, 07:55:18 PM
This car is exactly like one that belonged to a CLC member and was shown in Lancaster PA in 1993. At the time it was newly restored and absolutely beautiful. I saw the car at several CLC and AACA meets for about ten years after. If it is the same car, it's held up remarkably well.

It's sporting a CLC Senior Badge however I was unable to find a '64 60 Special with the same VIN in the CLC Senior Badge roster as the VIN shown in the BJ listing.

There is a '64 60 Special shown as having won a Senior in Lancaster 1993 but the VIN for that car is different...perhaps BJ got it wrong.  ???

59-in-pieces

Eric,
As someone like me part of the unwashed masses, and who is ignorant about such cars - was your comment tongue in cheek - sarcasm or it was cheap or over priced - couldn't tell.
I couldn't figure it out even from the other posts.
Getting too old and too slow on the up take, I guess.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Eric,

Lancaster GN 93
My curiosity made me dig into my albums for pics. My memory tells me the green Fleetwood was owned and restored by Bill Goudy and his son from somewhere in the Midwest  - Does anyone recognize the name or car?  At this time the car was not complete as they were waiting for original fabric to do the seat inserts.

The red one I believe is the car that won the CLC award and was owned by Bob Carini. I've seen pics of a similar car elsewhere on the web but don't know if it's the same car or ownership.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Bobby B

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on October 21, 2017, 11:48:28 AM

As someone like me part of the unwashed masses, and who is ignorant about such cars - was your comment tongue in cheek - sarcasm or it was cheap or over priced - couldn't tell.
I couldn't figure it out even from the other posts.
Getting too old and too slow on the up take, I guess.

Steve,
I'm praying to God that Sarcasm was the answer. I must be getting old and cranky also if that was the correct price for that car. Almost $38K all in? That seems like a lot of $ to me for a '64 Fleetwood, but then again, I'm stuck in the diminishing returns of the 40's cars as they plummet into the big black hole of worthlessness....... ::)
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Big Apple Caddy

The seller still likely lost money, though, when you consider the $29,700 purchase price plus sales tax (unless seller was a dealer or registered the car in a sales tax-free state) in 2010, the Barrett-Jackson seller's fee paid in 2017 along with whatever other money put into the car over seven years of ownership.  The car's latest buyer may have paid $35,750 (plus tax) but the seller came away with less than $30,000.

59-in-pieces

Big Apple,
Any time you can break even in this market (as a wise man once said "diminishing returns of the 40's cars as they plummet into the big black hole of worthlessness") is WIN WIN, in my book.
I am also a firm believer in any money I may lose over time - is the cost over time that I enjoyed my cars.
I get more than a little put off that our enjoyment in this hobby must be measured by the money we may or may not make when we go to sell our cars.
IMHO.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

STS05lg

Big Apple,
Any time you can break even in this market (as a wise man once said "diminishing returns of the 40's cars as they plummet into the big black hole of worthlessness") is WIN WIN, in my book.
I am also a firm believer in any money I may lose over time - is the cost over time that I enjoyed my cars.
I get more than a little put off that our enjoyment in this hobby must be measured by the money we may or may not make when we go to sell our cars.
IMHO.
Have fun,
Steve B.

Well said Steve, diminishing returns would also apply to mid 70's cars to. (Having spent $10,000 rebuilding the climate control system on the three current cars) And I might add, I was lucky to find a club member that was talented enough to teach himself how to rebuild these complicated systems and shares those talents with the rest of us who just love these big full size American cars.  I don't know who makes money on classic Cadillac's that are not 1959 Convertibles. I know it is not me, and I don't expect to make a return.

The parts are expensive, when you can find them. Know one wants to work on them (fellow club members being the exception). Heck there are only three or four places that sell tires for car anymore and they are all on-line. If I was to have taken the money I have put into my 70's cars I have owned over the years an deposited it in the 401K I would be well ahead. However, I would not have had the enjoyment of meeting all the great people in the local CLC Region, not had adventures traveling to GN's, meeting the owners of the local dealerships, and not received countless thumbs up as I drive around on nice weekend days. It a hobby and a way to enjoy yourself. The gentleman or lady that sold the 64 Fleetwood on Thursday (pictured above), did pretty well, if he enjoyed the car for seven years and got most of his money back he is way ahead.

However, if any of the learned members of our club know a way to come out ahead on mid 1970's Coupes, Sedans, and Fleetwoods please let me know.  :) :) :) :) I won't turn down the advice...

Happy Motoring (tm),

Lynn

Big Apple Caddy

If people are able to break even or make money on a classic car, great, but I too think there are better reasons to own one.  I lean more towards the "cars should be driven" philosophy.  Enjoy the cars!

My money comment was more about highlighting the potential "extra" costs of buying and selling especially when going through auctions.  Even though on paper the car saw a decent 20% increase/appreciation in value, the seller still likely lost money.

dochawk

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 20, 2017, 04:53:32 PM
Is the auctioneer on drugs?

I know they have a lot to put through, but he uses that dribble that no-one can understand.... at least I can't.... maybe its me.  :-\

whcanchunddm, whogivme 30, nxtbdr, trndstnd

:)

there's really nothing *to* understand in the patter; it's like revving the engine at the stoplight while waiting for a bid.

I was shocked the first time I was in probate court and watched an actual auction from the bench . . .

Anyway, today I picked up my credentials to drive at Mecum here in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks.  They actually pay the mustang club a few bucks a car for it !  (we can chose between a check to the club or a charitable donation)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

chrisntam

Quote from: dochawk on November 05, 2017, 01:06:25 AM

snip......

Anyway, today I picked up my credentials to drive at Mecum here in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks.  They actually pay the mustang club a few bucks a car for it !  (we can chose between a check to the club or a charitable donation)

hawk

Wow, that sounds like fun!   Remember, don't look at the camera or look at the crowd, look straight ahead!

I couldn't do it, takes too much self control!

I'll be looking for you on TV.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas