News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rust replacement panels/pieces for a 1960 Convertible

Started by The Tassie Devil(le), October 21, 2017, 06:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day all,

I am assisting a fellow Caddy owner with rebuilding his '60 Convertible, and was what rust replacement panels/pieces are available for the aforementioned vehicle,

We are looking especially for the rain gutter that is at the rear of the convertible top.   Having a replacement for this part will be a great help, but as can be seen, there is a lot of other metal missing.

Or, does anyone have a good rear section that can be cut out, that is, the full width of the area, plus a bit more.

Thanks,

Bruce. >:D

PS.   The car is on the mainland and I am not in the position to manufacture the parts required myself.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

59-in-pieces

Bruce,
I don't know anybody.
However, did you contact Quentin, depending on which side of the mainland he is working, he could help you out - likely.
He has made stuff for me, and a gr8 job.

However, cutting out that section between the quarters (between the well and trunk lid) - side to side- is the way to go.
The pan which the pic points out is an easy fix.
However, if the rot has climbed the rear vertical sides of the pan (R & L sides and along the back) - a huge problem.
Why, because it is a blind box beam into which the top material is held in place below the pinch weld and the SS with the snaps by the 3 anchor tack rail bow pieces, and into which the 21 long 1.5" loose washer lag style hex head screws attach.
But then you may have known this - and sorry talking down to you.
Have fun.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

Talking down to me is not a problem, as being way down here in the lower section of the Southern Hemisphere, most conversations I have involve people talking down, except when I an standing next to them, then mostly they are talking up to me.

The car is shortly going to the Sand Blaster, and then we will really find out just how bad it is.   Plus, I know it is going to be bad, really bad.

Have already found out that the trim sticks had been held on with larger diameter self tapping screws than originally used, so this alone will require new sheet metal.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Quentin Hall

I suggest that you carefully cut the hinge panel off at the seam either side. That way you can get into it. I have a 59 Conv spare tub but not to sell. But if you get really stuck could fabricate some of the bits.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks Quentin,

The car is in Melbourne, and I am home in Lindisfarne, and at the moment, everything is being done via text and email.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Quentin Hall

My number is 0472 760019
That piece is the same on all GM Convs 59 and 60.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz