News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 6237DX winsheild for FREE

Started by 5390john, October 23, 2017, 12:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

I have a decent used original windshield left over from my restoration project. It is the original one with correct etched date code and L.O.F. logo. No cracks! I hate to throw it away. YOU can have it free if you come and get it or pay for shipping. I'm in the Portland Oregon area.
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Kielar

Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

5390john

Got your e-mail, thx!
The windshield is in a big box, will have to check with my UPS store to see if it is possible to ship regular ground UPS. If so, will probably cost under $100.00 to ship to Wisconsin. Would you like to see photos?
Possible to discuss on the 'phone? Have your listing in the CLC directory.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Kielar

Sure pictures would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

gary griffin

Often big boxes can effectively be shipped Greyhound.  I purchased all of the seats (My car sat in a Quonset hut in the dessert for over 45 years and was a habitat for various creatures) for my 1942 from Harry Scott and he shipped them from Virginia to Tacoma Washington for a very reasonable price.  Two parcels but it was a 3 day weekend and they were separated and came a couple of weeks apart.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

5390john

Here's photos
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Kielar

Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

5390john

Bob:
This windshield is the original one out of a 1955 Cadillac coupe de ville.
I don't think I am getting you PM ( does that stand for personal message?) Would you like me to verify shipping method and cost to your zip?
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Kielar

Yes pm means personal message. What I was confused by is the 6237dx number the master parts book states that is for a 50-53 windshield. Go ahead and check the shipping costs.

Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Wow, that's nice for FREE!
Can I come up and go thru your trash??  :)
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bob Kielar

John,
           Here is a picture from the master parts book showing model 6237dx is for 50-53 Cadillac maybe the seven is supposed to be a nine?

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Carl Fielding

Bob , this w.s. quite simply cannot possibly be for 50-53. Look at pics of 50-53. Looks very 54-56 from my admittedly distant viewpoint.  - Carl

5390john

Hi Bob:
Let me state emphatically that the windshield is from a 1955 Coupe De Ville. Also, again, the Model number for a 1955 Cadillac Coupe De Ville is 6237DX. See photo, this is my 1955 6237DX, taken 6 years ago when I pulled her out of the "barn". This is the windshield we are talking about, clearly a 1955.
I got a quote today from UPS to pack and ship the windshield to your zip code for a price of roughly $325.00. Seems like a lot to me, but that was the quote. There are ways to reduce the shipping cost, but if you would like to move forward we should talk on the 'phone.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

5390john

Also, I just double checked, the part number for my windshield would be 466 4281 because it is an E Z eye version with the tint at the top.
John Adams 
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Bob Kielar

Hello John,
                 Thanks for checking the shipping costs but $325.00 is more then I can afford. I was just trying to save it from the trash and pass it on to someone else who might need it in the future please don't throw it away. Maybe someone closer to you will pick it up.
                  I'm sure it is for a 55 I was just going by the book. Maybe someone will chime in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Carl Fielding

I take in a lot of strays , and am not far away. I hope someone can get it who needs it. However I could pick it up and store it for someone. Trouble is , though , I am so far behind on my life , and docs tell me I am getting short , that I might die with it. I usually have luck cold calling apropriate members to dump goodies. Gotta be careful crating windshields for shipment. If done properly , Greyhound is extremely economical. Last year about this time , I "Doggy'd" 4 huge heavy tires completely across the country. Around 180 pounds total , wrapped in aprox 90 pound pairs. Cost $78. The savings come by going online and printing your own shipping labels. Then take 'em down to your local "Dog house". Routing can be circuitous and sometimes at less than dog race pace , but they have always been this ol' dog's best friend. I use the station to station option , but Greyhound will do door service on either , or both ends.

Again , pack the glass very carefully. Back in the '70s I put my Blazer - I referred to it as my 4-wheel drive Cadillac. It's name was "Eyes of the World". The name of my well-known 1927 Cadillac is "Eyes of the World Too"  - on its side and broke the windshield in South America. My excuse is that I was an oxygen-starved moron having just come up to 15,000' in the Andes from sea level. (Valid excuse by the way. Apropriate reminder under the circumstances of my trip that day. I was on an "In Memoriam" for 2 friends , Curry Slaymaker , and Mike Rourke who had just lost their lives at 18,000' trying for a first ascent of Nevado Paron. The cause was unjustified relaxed belay due to oxygen starvation induced dementia. R.I.P. until global warming melts your glacial tomb , my Brothers). Anyway , Aerolinas Argentinas broke the replacement windshield in transit from L.A.

Please someone , save this w.s. so I don't have to.   - CC

5390john

still got it.............
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

David King (kz78hy)

If it is still available, I could use it if is near perfect.  I just bought a '55 Eldorado that needs a windshield.  This car will be restored as close as possible to new car standards, so if there are chips or scratches, I probably could not use it, but if it is great, and looks like it might be, I would take it.

Thanks

David King

PS since there blue tint, I believe the P/N is 4664281
My zip is 48381, so the shipping would probably be in the same ball park.
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

5390john

Hi David:
No chips or scratches, but the outer surface does have imperfections from road grit. It is not the same surface as a new windshield, but it is pretty good. It is EZ Eye green glass with a blue tint at the top.
I can get a shipping cost if you send me your contact info
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

David King (kz78hy)

Hi John

Mailing address is:
David King
933 Weaver Rd
Milford, MI  48381
David King
CLC 22014  (life)