News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 eldorado CV joint boot failure.

Started by NORTHPORTGUY, October 23, 2017, 02:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORTHPORTGUY

Fellow members----on my 1971 eldorado    my front right CV joint boot failed and expelled grease on the tire wheel etc.   i am thinking since i put around 800 miles annually i can get away with a less expensive fix and in that connection i've ordered a split boot.  i recall reading elsewhere thee were horrible but for 23 dollars and a nice afternoon bonding w my son in law  think it's worth a shot.  how might you think  please weigh in...  with any tips too   

a link to the rockauto page is  below so you may see the unit  i've ordered.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12359&cc=1025851&jsn=413

ken wiebke

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Ken, I am not as mechanically minded as some of our other experts, but no more driving than you do, I would think that this repair would stand up for you. Especially as you are most likely going to keep an eye on it even more than if you'd had it installed the "right" way. Best of luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

My one experience with Dorman Products saved me nearly $700.00 --- they make an "aftermarket" work around for my SRX transmission shift linkage.  I trust their split boot will be a gem as well.  Good company, me thinks,     Happy day, James

The Tassie Devil(le)

I fitted a split boot to the CV joint on my '72 when I picked it up in Detroit in 2008, and ran with it for at least 10,000 miles before I replaced it when I pulled the axle out when I removed the engine for the timing chain replacement.

It worked well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Let us know how well it fits.   If it fits well it should work reasonably well.   The one I tried several years ago didn't fit well but wasn't listed as an exact fit for our cars, it was a semi universal sort of thing and the only option since at the time there didn't appear to be a direct fit option.

I had one go this summer and had grease on the side of the car at the rear bumper.  Grease got on the brake pads so I had to replace those too.  As long as I was there did brake hoses since they were 20 years old.  Turned into quite a project.    Side note Autozone / Sunex? brake hoses were crap and leak.   Their standard grade pads seem decent.  I also used a new CV assembly from them and its different than the original but so far its doing OK. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I thought the idea of the split boot, was to avoid removing the half
shaft from the car for repair.  When I did one on my 79, it was so
much trouble, I would rather have pulled the shaft for a standard
boot.  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ken,
For less than $60.00 (plus freight) you can get a rebuilt halfshaft.  If yours has been leaking for a while, chances are that the joints may have suffered.  Same afternoon of bonding (work) and you are done.  A problem with the split boots is that there is just about no extra room in all the mechanism up front and some of the boots are a bit oversized, leading to rapid failures. Just my take.
Greg Surfas

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1971,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1025851,drivetrain,cv+half+shaft+assembly,2288
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Wish they were that cheap landed at my door.

The only one I would purchase would be the last one on the list as it replicates the original, regarding the inner tripot joint.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

I never had any confidence in the split boots, so I never tried them.  Also I always figured when the old boot ripped a lot of grease was lost and maybe dirt got into the joint, so I always disassemble the joint; clean and regrease the joint. 

When installing the new boot, be sure there is no grease where the boot contacts the joint.  Clamp the big clamp first.  Then bend the joint as far as it will go, see where the small end is and clamp it there.  Some of the boots available are shorter then the original and if you clamp it at the grove on the shaft it will pull the boot off when you make a sharp turn. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Scot Minesinger

We have enough troubles with unanticipated problems in this hobby and if in life.  Make the repair the right way. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Me thinks that is the wrong boot for the outer joint on a '71.

That boot is for the inner Tripot joint.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

Looks right to me except maybe not clamped in the correct spot on the shaft end.   

The original inners had the 'tin' part and the rubber didn't have any folds, it kinda rolled in and out of the tin part.   

The current new production ones have more typical looking boots. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Glen

The original accordion style boot was not available for many years.  The one in Scot’s picture is the replacement that was available.  This is the boot that is too short.  If it is clamped in the grove i on the shaft it will pull the large clamp off in a tight turn.  Ask me how I know.   
The inner boot is totally different with a metal shell.  But it seems the original inner boots are not available. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

NORTHPORTGUY

Anyway   today "we "performed the job  (i was really good at cleaning the area running for parts, tools etc.)    What i mean is my son-in-law did the work.  His main complaint was the metal band on the small side was quite difficult to tighten and he's concerned it might fail    we're contemplating a stainless steel hose clamp  ---i know it will look abominable--if we see any signs of failure.   So for around 23 dollars it's looking decent how long  it was last  remains to be seen...
Ken Wiebke

The Tassie Devil(le)

If you can't get the small one tightened enough, there is nothing wrong with using a Cable Tie.   Use the Black one, as they don't degrade as fast as the White ones.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 04, 2017, 07:44:23 PM
If you can't get the small one tightened enough, there is nothing wrong with using a Cable Tie.   Use the Black one, as they don't degrade as fast as the White ones.

I have no experience with that, but it has potential.  Plus it may slide on the shaft instead of pulling the big end off. 

The original clamps were Band-it brand bands.  They are ¼ inch stainless bands.  I happen to have a roll of the band, a box of buckles and the tool to tighten it.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

NORTHPORTGUY

Two excellent suggestions. Thanks much!    That's  why I "love" this forum.

Ken Wiebke   23013