News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Deville trunk 'lid' leaking

Started by Rick Costello, October 24, 2017, 06:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Costello

Hi Folks,  This is my first post here.  Joined today even though years ago I was a member of Cadillac/LaSalle club and the 1958 Cadillac Club.

Have a problem I need your help with on one of my Land Yachts.  My '60 six window is taking on water.  While the rubber gasket doesn't appear damaged the trunk lid/hood itself appears to be collecting water such that when you lift the trunk hood/lid (whatever) water pours into the trunk.  Has anyone had this problem and how the heck to I resolve it?

Not sure, where it's my first time on this forum, if I'll be sent a notification if someone pipes in with an answer so below is my email if that's not how it works.

Help & thanks,

Rick Costello
rc@phoenixpwb.com

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would be checking for rust holes in the surrounding edges of the trunk lid, as if there is, it could be that the surrounding rubber gasket is acting like a dam, and funneling the water into the trunk lid before it can flow out and around the sides of the gutter.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

59-in-pieces

Rick,
Since the 60 is much like the 59, does your trunk lid have the crest and "V" on the top.
I would guess, they are leaking into the void between the top and bottom halves of the lid.
When the trunk is opened, and the water spills out, is it out of the lid towards the rear windshield, or elsewhere around the trunk edges - not the lid.
Assuming it's the crest and "V", get a flashlight and put your head inside the trunk with the lid up (duh) and look in the openings/holes in the area of the trunk lock mechanism.
Does it seem wet - or can you feel dampness down inside the holes to the trailing edge of the lid.
If so VOILA - leaky jewelry.
Unscrew the jewelry nuts from inside the trunk lid.
If the rubber washers behind the nuts are shot/missing - replace them.
Also, belt and suspenders, place an upside down horseshoe bead of calk (upside down "U" shape) around the high side of the holes on the outside of the trunk lid.
Insert jewelry threw the holes - lightly push down - hold jewelry in place when putting the nuts and washers back on the jewelry studs - and tighten, securely - do not moose them down - clean up excess calk.
Have fun,
Steve B
S. Butcher