News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Deville Power Steering Return Hose

Started by limikep, October 25, 2017, 10:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limikep

Hello All

I changed the power steering return (low pressure) hose with an over the counter 3/8" inside diameter part.  This part has an outside diameter of 5/8".  The original hose that came off the car has an OD of about 11/16" - 3/4".  The original clamps will not tighten down completely on the replacement hose due to the little difference in the OD.  Does anyone know where/who still makes hoses with OD I am looking for.  Maybe hoses back in the 1950's were thicker because they used more rubber?

Thank you
Michael
CLC # 11110

gary griffin

A quick and dirty fix is to wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the hose to make it larger on the outside.  Trim the tape to the width of the clamp and it will be almost unnoticeable. Not a good solution on higher pressure lines though!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

J. Gomez

Quote from: limikep on October 25, 2017, 10:21:56 AM
Hello All

I changed the power steering return (low pressure) hose with an over the counter 3/8" inside diameter part.  This part has an outside diameter of 5/8".  The original hose that came off the car has an OD of about 11/16" - 3/4".  The original clamps will not tighten down completely on the replacement hose due to the little difference in the OD.  Does anyone know where/who still makes hoses with OD I am looking for.  Maybe hoses back in the 1950's were thicker because they used more rubber?

Thank you
Michael
CLC # 11110

Michael,

I replace mine with a pressure hose same 5/8” and I had to screw the original hose clamp all the way (see picture, I hope it gets attached ???).

I know the original hose was twice as thick as the one I install, so I would take a guest you are correct. Maybe the older hose were thicker for pressure type.  :o
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

limikep

Thanks all.  Using tape to build up hose is a good idea.  Currently I have to screw the original hose clamp all the way.  I did find a hose how I need it but it is a "fuel line" hose.  Can I use a fuel line hose for power steering?  I know I cannot use heater hose but will power steering fluid eat away at a fuel line hose.?

J. Gomez

Quote from: limikep on October 25, 2017, 02:18:04 PM
Thanks all.  Using tape to build up hose is a good idea.  Currently I have to screw the original hose clamp all the way.  I did find a hose how I need it but it is a "fuel line" hose.  Can I use a fuel line hose for power steering?  I know I cannot use heater hose but will power steering fluid eat away at a fuel line hose.?

As long as it is for EFI fuel systems (pressure hose) should be no problem.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082