News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Lubrication Due Badge

Started by Bernard, October 27, 2017, 03:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernard

Hello
Does someone know this Badge? I have taken the pic of the Lubrication Due Badge on a 1939 LaSalle here in Switzerland.
I would love to have this Badge for my 1936 Cadillac but I am not sure if this is correct for my Caddy?
Would be nice if someone have detailed information on this badge and can tell the story behind of this.

Many thanks for any information!
Bernard Riebel

harvey b

My 37 had one,it was in the upper portion of the drivers door jamb,it was held on with 3 little nail headed twisty screw looking pins?,not sure what thy are called,i took it off to paint the car and the 3 holes were accidently filled over,now i cant find the holes to install it :(.I still have it,hoping some day one of the holes will show up and i can put it back where it goes.Mine looked like it was installed from the factory,because of the odd looking pins holding it on?.Be interested in other stories about these too. Harvey b
Harvey Bowness

Classic

I bought a very nice reproduction for my 1937 Cadillac from Pulfer & Williams about 10 years ago.  They are both deceased now and the business was purchased a few years ago by LaVine Restorations in Nappanee, IN.  See http://pulferandwilliams.com/.  They don't currently list it on their website, but I would give them a call.  (574) 773-7561  They may need a photo.

Gene Menne

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Bernard

found another one on a 1939 La Salle. As harvey b mentioned... it was mounted in the upper portion of the drivers door jamb...
Maybe this pic will help to find the original position of the batch?
Bernard Riebel

Bernard

Hi Gene
Many thanks for the link. I have asked them and they will check and come back to me.
BTW they have the Fleetwood badge! Great information many thanks for that!!!
Bernard Riebel

gary griffin

Great link but they do not have the Body by Fisher/interior by Fleetwood  badge I am looking for. I have both of them (one for each side) but one is in bad shape so I would love to find a replacement.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gary, I have a nice one. $10 post paid. (I actually pulled open the door and put my hand on it immediately.) Send me an e-mail...I'm in the Directory. BW However, there is only "one" on the car. The RH side of the seat frame, so if you have one, you may not need this one. Advise.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

gary griffin

I have contended that also Barry but mine must of  had two, and I have screws in the screw holes so I can find them after the upholsterer is done.  Why else would there be matching screw holes??

Maybe Tod More or Harry Scott will chime in on this one as they have same models. Harry has a 1941 and Tod has a 1942 like mine. These two have been great help during my restoration.
Gary Griffin

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Gary, I have had TWO of your car... Each had only one upholstery badge on the RH side of the seat frame. One Imperial with leather, one with broadcloth. Both were original and unrestored autos. These badges were used on all 1941(and possibly 1942-49) Cadillacs and after that, all 60Ss through (I believe) at least 1953. (That's where I found a lot of them to "take off" in junk yards years ago.) I believe they changed the badge for 1954. I never saw one on the LH side and I was all over these cars when taking parts from them.

It is possible that a previous owner liked the looks of the badge so much that he installed another one on your front seat frame.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

gary griffin

Barry,

My car was owned by the Army during WW-II and sold at auction in 1951. The next owner had a friend with him at the auction who told me that the auctioneer stated that Bing Crosby had donated the car to the army early in WW_II.  I do know that it left Detroit December 3rd 1941 and was probably on a train to Reno on December 7th  It sat in  the desert in a Quonset hut until late 1990's . Next owner sold it to me with unmolested upholstery and much evidence of rodent habitat usage.  It had been painted two tone tan and white as it was used at Wendover army air corps base in Utah, probably as a staff car. Since it was semi secret base and it seems they wanted it to blend in with civilian traffic? Pictures of it in that condition are in the first page of my restoration saga in the restoration forum.

The question is still why screw holes in that location on both sides?   I am nearing the end of a very long restoration which was extended for various reasons but I see the light at the end of the tunnel (Hope it is not a train coming the other way)

For now I will leave the screws in on both sides and install the badge on passengers side but keep my eyes and ears open in case I learn that they did it both ways which could be a possibility.
Gary Griffin

TMoore - NTCLC

I just took a look at my car (1942 Series 6719)- not pretty, but all original - there is just the one tag, located on the passenger side - there is not a tag on the driver's side, nor is there really a good place to put it  since the seat position lever is located there.  No flash on phone, but pics attached -

Tod

gary griffin

Tod's post made me think and go out in the garage and check a few things.  I checked and found both sides have screw holes for the  Body by Fisher/interior by Fleetwood badge but I looked around and saw a hole on the right side where the seat adjusting lever would be for a right hand drive. Bingo, it clicked in my stubborn mind. The seat mechanism was correct for left hand drive and right hand drive and I am sure a lot of Cadillac's went to countries with right hand drive and by mass producing them they had to be ambidextrous I guess!! Problem solved.
Gary Griffin

Bernard

Any updates on the origin question about the "Lubrication Due Badge" located on the upper portion of the drivers door jamb?

@harvey b; Will you sell yours?
@Classic; unfortunately the company http://pulferandwilliams.com/ do not produce this tag anymore

Many thanks so far for all these very appreciated information!
Bernard Riebel

harvey b

Bernard, i dont want to part with mine,am still hoping to use it someday.I would reach out to someone who has a parts car and see if one is on it,i think near  all the cars back then would have had one,even a lasalle could have one.even try those who have other parts listed for sale,or even on ebay,there are some rusty parts cars on there,some one who is selling parts may have a whole car. Good Luck  Harvey
Harvey Bowness

harvey b

Harvey Bowness

Bernard

Hi harvey b
Thanks for the ebay link. Yes... a little expensive... I will contact the seller and speak about the price ;-) hopefully he will send the item also to Switzerland ;-)
Thanks again!
Bernard Riebel

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Some of that gunk would clean up, but why don't you try AllCads? At least Ed's would be cleaner. And maybe even cheaper.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bernard

Many thanks for pointing me to AllCads. Unfortunately I did not found any on the webpage. However I have sent an email to ask for. Many thanks again!
Bernard Riebel