News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillacs in Cuba?

Started by vwfras, October 27, 2017, 08:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwfras

Heading to Cuba for a couple of weeks next year from Scotland.

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are many Cadillacs in amongst all their classics and more importantly the parts off them..... do i take an extra suitcase?  ::)

Cheers, Fraser
F Breingan

James Landi

Here's an engaging article about the 60,000 cars, mostly pre 1960 American, that are servicing 11 million people on the island.   https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-cubas-car-scene-looks-like-in-2017-1791963244     My guess is that your suitcase should be full of parts you purchased here, keeping in mind that the average Cuban makes $20 per month, so expect to discount... seriously, though, I wonder if it's possible to buy and ship a car to the US from Cuba or is that part of Trump's renewed embargo?.   Keep us informed      Happy day,   James

J. Gomez

Fraser,

Finding Cadillac’s in Cuba would be a challenge depending on the location but they do exist mostly the early 195X (up to 1954 would be my guess).

Most of them which would be owned by the normal folks would be less of a Cadillac (drive train speaking) as owners would put anything they can find to get them going. The nicer ones could well be under the government control and use. ???

As finding parts over there, well frankly there is no need for you to take an extra luggage. You may have better luck in finding the lost city of Atlantis than finding spare Cadillac parts in Cuba.     ;)

I was 8 or 9 years old back in the mid 196X when we took a ride on my father’s business partner 1953 Cadillac sedan (can’t remember the model sorry) and it was pristine. I recall it was black with gray cloth interior, he bought it new it had the original tires. That was the bug that bit me with the Cadillac fever.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Quote from: James Landi on October 27, 2017, 08:40:23 AM
seriously, though, I wonder if it's possible to buy and ship a car to the US from Cuba or is that part of Trump's renewed embargo?.   

James,

I would venture in saying the biggest problem would be taking an armor truck with you full of $$$ to convince the local folks on selling their old beloved american vehicles and even then it would 50/50 chance you will get a sale.   ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

gary griffin

Mechanical parts would be rare, open the hood and many surprises and rarely original engines.  In a Cadillac you could find a Russian tractor engine for example. They were quite innovative with methods to keep their cars on the road with little concern for originality.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jay Friedman

My wife and I traveled to Havana for 4 days in 2006 and I wrote an article on Cadillacs I saw there which appeared in the Nov-Dec 2006 Self Starter.  I saw a few running Cadillacs; the latest was a '57.   Parked outside the restaurant where my group had lunch one day was a '53 convertible whose owner I was able to chat with.  He showed me its original motor (painted red) and told me the Hydra-matic worked well but added that it was equipped with a Russian carburetor and alternator.  Also, he had installed a '49 split windshield.

Another day we went in a '51 Oldsmobile convertible taxi whose driver told me it had a Russian engine and transmission. 

The largest single make of car I saw were Chevrolets of the 1950s.  There seemed to be relatively few Ford or Chrysler product cars.

Besides me, a couple of other CLC members have also written articles in the Self Starter about trips to Cuba and cars they saw.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

Isn't there or wasn't there a tv show about the cars in Cuba?   I watched one episode and what I saw looked like they were pretty good at making things work with whatever they could get their hands on.    Like someone else said lots of things like tractor parts in cars.   

I presume there are and were 'well to do' people down there that have and been able to collect and maintain original cars? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

J. Gomez

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 27, 2017, 02:21:06 PM
Isn't there or wasn't there a tv show about the cars in Cuba?   

Yes, Cuban Chrome show in the Discovery channel, last I read is season 2 was canceled not sure reason ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

chrisntam

Quote from: J. Gomez on October 27, 2017, 05:04:18 PM
Yes, Cuban Chrome show in the Discovery channel, last I read is season 2 was canceled not sure reason ???

Maybe because they ran out of plot lines?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Lexi

Yes, Cuban Chrome. Good show. Having watched all the episodes I was left with the impression that a lot of Cuba's vintage automobiles are 'cut & paste' projects; where the locals have scrounged the oddest parts to keep them on the road. It would appear that many of these vehicles have significant authenticity issues to say the least. Finding Cadillac parts is probably a tall order. I also thought that the Cuban government had some restrictions or even a ban on allowing the importation of these automobiles, (and possibly parts)? I would get an answer to that prior to making any buys as you may not be permitted to leave with any such items. Perhaps another member can clarify this matter. Clay/Lexi

vwfras

Looks like I would probably be better writing my shopping list and posting it on here then, not after too much just smaller interior parts maiinly. Looking forward to seeing these car getting used as daily drivers. Will need to check online if I can get a look at that TV show.
F Breingan