News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Brake Drums

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, October 27, 2017, 08:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    I wanted to purchase a good set of used brake drums for my 1957 Cadillac . Keeping in mind the good used cast iron drums are a very good quality. The problem is the vender  only has the rear drums. Very reluctant to purchase new drums that are made with foreign material . Has any body out there have any  other source . Or have had a good experience with new drums ?

Thanks again ,
           Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

gary griffin

I hope (I have a 1957 also) and doubt they are a one year only item.  I suggest you check the Master parts list and find out the range of years and models that would fit your car. The thing with used ones is "How many times have they been refinished? There are minimums that must be followed.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

According to my Master Parts Book, '56-'59 rears were the same
and the fronts were '57 only.

I knew that in 1957 they went to a larger drum / hub assembly to
obtain better braking, but I was surprised to see it listed as one year
only.

Since the parts book descriptions can be somewhat vague, please
double check with a '57 expert -- whom I'm sure will be along.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

For 1957, Cadillac went to the ball joint front suspension. The slot to adjust the brakes was no more on the backing plate, but in front of the drum. In my opinion, this is the only difference compared to the 52 to 56 drums. For 1958, the ball bearing were different, therefore the hub is different.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , Has anybody purchased front drums from Fusick or Kanter  Cadillac Parts ? And if so were they happy with the quality of the front Drums . If I can not find a good used set I might be forced to go with new Repros . I will have all winter to find a set of good originals but must have a contingeny plan just in case . The pair on my car now are turned to the maximum diameter .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Roger Zimmermann

You may ask Brian Faull: cadillac32v@hotmail.com He may have good used drums.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Roger ,
     Just e mailed Brian .
         Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille