News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A6 Compressor v. S6

Started by T J Lankes, October 27, 2017, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T J Lankes

If you have knowledge of or experience with the CoolPro S6 compressor compared to the original A6, please post your recommendations.

My '79 de Ville came with a rebuilt A6 that slings more than a little oil so I'm considering a new A6 from Alma Products or a substitute.  (Rock Auto only offers the Four Seasons reman for my car)

CoolPro advised me that their S6 displacement is 12.6 cu. in., same as the A6 , so the compressors' cooling capacity seems equal from that standpoint.  They also claim a number of other improvements as shown here:  http://www.s6compressor.com/products.html

Thanks

TJ Hopland

I have not seen that one before.  Too bad they clutch looks so different, if it looked more like the originals you may not notice the rest of the differences.   Its a little cheaper than previous direct fit options but still a little expensive but if you already have good hoses that saves some money so that helps.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

The refrigeration ports are set higher on the S6 than on the A6 which will cause air cleaner interference issues on a 70's Cadillac with the compressor mounted on the top center of the engine.  Would work just fine on most any other A6 equipped car where the compressor is off to the side of the engine.

Your only choice without converting to a Sanden with new hoses would be the Pro6Ten from Old Air as the port layout is exactly the same as the A6.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ,
I think there are a couple of things to consider with this "replacement" compressor.  First of all they are indicating their compressor uses Teflon piston rings. Guess what? so does the A6.  They say that their compressor uses a lip seal for the shaft seal. Guess what, this is the replacement seal for the A6. Point being their advertising is app[apparently not fully truthful.
If your shaft seal is leaking, replace it with the upgrade.  Tjhe link below might prove helpful

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&v=0c7QXLNqgBU&q=http%3A%2F%2Fshopcenturyautoair.com&redir_token=8HwtQmTc0BkgqQ6WaGv1cnCT0hJ8MTUwOTI0NzIzMUAxNTA5MTYwODMx

There were probably at least 20,000,000 A-6 compressors utilized on GM cars during the period from the 50's through the early 80's.  If there needed to be improvements in the compressor design GM would have made them. It is a "bulletproof" unit if treated correctly.
Greg Surfras
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

My own experience is the A6 falls a little short of "bulletproof".  Bruce Roe

With R-12 using Mineral oil as intended and installed in an original vehicle the failure rate is something like 0.5%. Change either the chemicals or the system and all bets are off.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

T J Lankes

Hi Gents,

Thank you for your comments.

I agree that the A6 is a stout performer when used as intended.

I had heard of the double lipped seal before so that might be worth a try.  Thanks for the link, Greg.

Maybe I can get an assessment of the reman currently on the car to see if it's a good candidate for the new seal or whether to start with a newly rebuilt.

Do any of you happen to know if Alma Products uses the double lipped seal in their rebuilds?  (They weren't willing to provide me with much info since I'm not one of their a dealers.)

TJ,
Alma products seems to be a re-builder of ALL automotive devices.  I personally have not had any experience or have heard of anyone else discussing their attributes.
I personally have had the best luck with AC Delco re-builts.  It is critical that the oil charge be correct and that the oiling system (pump) must be primed prior to start up.
If your compressor is not noisy and you have been adding oil to replace that amount you say is leaving the compressor, I would consider just re sealing yours.  It is a relatively simple task requiring just a few tools to remove and reinstall the clutch disk as well as the seal installation tools.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

T J Lankes

Hi Greg,

I'd really like to have a qualified shop tackle it.  Please let me know if you can suggest anyone around Austin.

Thanks

TJ,
I'm in San Antonio and I do all my own work, but you might try calling Ken Karrer, Director of the Central Texas region.  I believe he might now of someone in Austin.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

T J Lankes

Thanks Greg

I might see Ken at the Bastrop show.