News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Driving Miss Daisy - '55 Fleetwood Sold at BJ

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, October 28, 2017, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

James Landi

Perhaps the tubes are simply transparent, so we can't see them...While it has the original a/c compressor, I note an alternator where the generator used to be.   

z3skybolt

Beautiful Cadillac. As for the movie vehicles....I loved the Hudson most of all.

Bob
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Bill Young

Perhaps the outlets were in the rear package shelf.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Maybe that's why she wouldn't let him turn it on??  :)
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Caddy Wizard

I was here in Georgia when they made the movie and I saw the 55 FW that they used in the movie.  It was a somewhat rough car that a painter named Marvin Lawson up in Jasper, GA painted very quickly for the movie -- I talked to him and actually had him do a little body work on my 55 sedan way back when.  Lots of the exterior chrome was pitted,  as if the car had been left outside for a while.  The black paint was fairly slick, and was lacquer.  Overall, it wasn't as nice as my first 55 sedan.  But you can't tell that from the movie.  Since then, I have seen countless cars for sale claiming to be the one from the movie.  The one in the movie appears to have factory A/C, but doesn't have the plastic tubes or the chrome vents in the ceiling.  This Barrett Jackson car has the same configuration, so perhaps it is the car from the movie, restored to a higher level.  I didn't think such a configuration was factory, but someone else on the forum has stated that this was common in the western states and was known as the "western option" for AC.

Of course, they also used a black non-AC 56 Fleetwood for some shots, pretending that it is the same car!
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Dan LeBlanc

According to the Data Book and Optional Specifications manual, air conditioners could be ordered with or without ducts.  Without ducts, you had parcel shelf grilles. 

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Quote from: Art Gardner  CLC 23021 on October 30, 2017, 11:14:18 AM
Of course, they also used a black non-AC 56 Fleetwood for some shots, pretending that it is the same car!

Actually I believe the alternate car was a 1956 Series 62 Sedan- with a/c (not that most audience members would notice).  ::)

Caddy Wizard

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on October 30, 2017, 12:52:30 PM
Actually I believe the alternate car was a 1956 Series 62 Sedan- with a/c (not that most audience members would notice).  ::)

Could be. Mostly I remember seeing the car from the back and noticing the difference in the bumpers (don't remember looking for the FLEETWOOD lettering on the trunk)...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

The rear overhang is considerably shorter on the '56. In the scene where she tells Hoke to turn left, then quickly corrects herself to say turn right, the car becomes the '56 as it screeches around the turn, back to the '55, back to the '56 and eventually back to the '55 again which it seems to remain for the rest of the movie. 

FREDS64FLEETWOOD

All in all I still think that its pretty cool!
FRED WITTENBERG
BREWSTER,NY
CLC#18218
1984 Sedan DeVille
1964 Fleetwood (Gone but never forgotten)

Vince Taliano #13852

Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)