News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Seat belts

Started by SK903, October 28, 2017, 08:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

When were seat belts first available and when did they become standard?
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jdemerson

Quote from: SK903 on October 28, 2017, 08:05:51 PM
When were seat belts first available [in Cadillacs] and when did they become standard?

I did some research on this question earlier this year. The 2014 thread contains good information, but also a few errors. I'll limit this response to Cadillac, and not extend to GM or the industry. My information is from the data books and sales brochures. (Additions and especially corrections welcomed; please indicate the source!)

1956 -- no reference to seat belts in the Cadillac data book
1957 -- first year that front seat belts were listed as a Cadillac option
1962 -- built-in provision for Cadillac dealer installation of seat belts in four positions. Belts available in 9 colors.
            Belts optional in rear on Series 75 models.
1964 -- optional front seat belts were new retractor-type except on Series 75
1965 -- front seat belts standard and rear seat belts an option on Cadillacs. Front seat belts and heater could be deleted on all models at a reduced cost.
1966 -- front and rear seat belts made standard on Cadillacs. Outer seat belts, front and rear, are retractable.
1967 -- optional front shoulder straps
1968 -- seat belts were standard in all positions; front shoulder belts, an option, were made standard after start of the model year. No shoulder belts for center seat positions.
1968 -- outside belts in all four positions had retractors, and rear shoulder belts were an option

Notes on other safety equipment:
1962 -- dual master cylinder brakes
1967 -- energy-absorbing steering column, heavily-padded instrument panel, hazard warning flashers. Front disc brakes on Eldorado
1968 -- required side marker lights; front disc brakes an option on all models
1969 -- front disc brakes standard on all models; added safety equipment including push-button seat belt buckles and automatic belt retractors, front seat headrests

This list is not complete, and probably could go on forever.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan 6219X (with four airplane-style seatbelts)
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

JoeKarasinski

59 and 60 floor pans were pre marked for seat belts.

Daddio

I just came across the Serviceman article regarding floor pan dimples for seat belts.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

SK903

Thank yo for your replies!
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz