News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

71 Fleetwood 75 vacuum lines

Started by Nye, October 29, 2017, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nye

Hello all,

Long time reader here, first time posting.

Finally got my 71 back after some work from it sitting for almost 30 years in a funeral homes garage. There are a number of vacuum lines that are disconnected, some I know where they go to I just have to run the new lines. Others I have no idea and was hoping someone could spread some light on where they go (since the series 75 model is a whole different beast). Car runs great, purrs like a kitten. I think most of these have to do with climate control or other features.
Let me know if you know where these Vacuum lines go! :)
Picture 1 - Two yellow / black wires come up from the drivers side firewall. If I remember right, one ran towards the front of the car. The other I have no idea.

Picture 2-3-4 - Different view from the first pic. The blac line not connected is to the canister at the front of the car. I have to run a new line because the original is very dry rotted.

Picture 5 - below the washer fluid bottle / drivers side firewall entrance. That's where the two yellow / black wires come from and are connected with vacuum connectors right now (has been like that). Also not sure exactly what the thing is right at those wires. I thought it may of been the track master system or cruise control?

Picture 6&7- This is my biggest headache. The wire with a hump that goes straight down ontop the ported vacuum is to the transmission. There is a port at the rear of the carb not used. I thought that was supposed to go there with the brake booster line?  Shop manual also says the same thing I believe. Just would like someone to confirm. The vacuum line coming down right next to that is to the air breather which I believe is supposed to go right where the transmission line currently is.  Also I forgot which line is currently "T"'d into the climate control system in the middle of the firewall, but should anything be tied into that system?  It currently occupies the other spot on the vacuum switch at the rear.

I didn't get a picture of this - but a yellow / black vacuum line comes up from the passenger side. It's to the automatic level control (I believe), but I can't find a spot where it would plug into on the air breather.  The other line for that system is hooked up correctly.  I really want to start this line connected right soon because it does pull quite a bit of vacuum.

Lastly, a picture of her seeing daylight for the first time in 26 years (when I got her home) and the pic of her getting towed from the funeral home, and also a pic of her two weeks ago right after I got her back from some tuneup work  :).  I'm amazed that after checking the brake lines and hoses on it that only one line had a small pinhole leak. They are in really good shape (guess it helped it sat in a garage). Had 29,900 original miles on her when I got her. I've added 100 miles because the system really needed a good running from the sitting.  Still rocking the original paint (sable black).

Thanks in advance!  I'm going to be joining CLC tomorrow! 

Michael
Michael G
1971 Cadillac Fleetwood 75
CLC #31024

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Good job getting her rinning again. Enjoy.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

chrisntam

Is there no diagram of vac lines in the factory service manual?  There are some in the '70 manual, but not all.  Another member here got a hold of a complete vacuum diagram for a '70, but it's not in any of my shop manuals.  Not sure how he got it.

Perhaps someone w/ a '71 will chime in.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Nye

That would be great if someone had a diagram or had a 71-72 I know there's not many survivors left.  There is no vacuum diagram in the shop manual (has a veey good electrical diagram). My understanding is Cadillac didn't issue any for 71,72,73. 74 they started issuing them again. The mechanic that works on it for me said I need to find one also because none of his books cover the 75 series for that year.

Michael
Michael G
1971 Cadillac Fleetwood 75
CLC #31024