Author Topic: Lets talk about batteries and cranking power 6V vs 8V for 346 flathead.  (Read 616 times)

Offline TJ Hopland

Re: Lets talk about batteries and cranking power 6V vs 8V for 346 flathead.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »
It just seems like going to 8 gives you all the issues of going to 12 with none of the convenience.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
75 Eldo rusty but trusty
80 Eldo Diesel
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Offline C Gorgas

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #25441
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »
I agree with you Tony enough said. Chet 25441

Offline Janousek

• Name: Brad Janousek
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »
I'm with TJ.  If your going to have a dual system just go all in and go 12 volts.

I've converted and service a 41' 75 series with A/C.  That 12 volt battery sings the starter almost as fast as a running motor.   We did the conversion for 2 reasons.  1.  6volt compressor clutches are nonexistent
2.  Car is driven at night and the 6volts just couldn't make the headlights safe at speed. 
Everything is easilly converted back.  The conversion wasn't done to make it starter faster.  6volts done properly was used for over 50 years.   

I'm converting our 67' series car right now to 12 volts.  Starting speed isn't the reason.  Those headlights are so nice on the 75 series that we decided to have safe headlights since our car will be driven at night.   

Offline dochawk

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #29642
  • Name: Richard Hawkins
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:28 PM »
The only 6V i ever really dealt with was my father's 64 bug.

no reason to convert *those* to anything.

If you had trouble starting from the battery, you just open-end the door and started running down the street with it, then jumped in and popped the clutch. 

I did that so many times, and watched him so many more, that I can't even guess at the number; it always worked (and also on my brother's 74).

it didn't work on my super beetle (also 74), as the seat was placed enough differently that you couldn't hop in fast enough from the run.

OK, so this isn't practical an a cadillac for *so* many reasons, without even getting to dignity . . .

:)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible, 2001 Deville DHS (daughter), 1997 Eldorado ETC (and now my wife wants an Eldorado!)

Offline Jim Miller

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30628
  • Name: Jmiller
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
I made certain my grounds were clean and never had a cranking issue. However, I was concerned about lights at night when stopped at intersections. They do dim down at a slow idle, so I spent the money and had the generator converted to a GenerNator. Nice bright lights and remain 6 volts.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 62 sedan
2016 SRX

Offline vttinkerer

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #30137
  • Name: Daniel Wing
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 07:56:40 AM »
I bought my 1940 series 60 a little over a year ago with an eight volt battery in place.That battery tested out as weak and after some research I decided to get a good six volt battery and a new regulator.The car started perfectly well with the good battery, but shortly afterI put it in the starter relay failed.I was fortunate to find another one, as they are rare. I cannot be certain that the exposure to 8 volts led to the failure of the relay, of course, but that certainly was a possibility.While I had the starter out to replace the relayI had a local electrical shop go through the starter and I had them install the new relay.It cost me all of 48 bucks to get that job done and the refurbished, reinstalled starter spins the motor like all get out.