News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Coupe DeVille for sale------ needs full restoration $9900

Started by jmurrayent, November 04, 2017, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmurrayent

Very original barn find (aren't they all now?) 53 CDV.  Currently not running, but does turn over. Dynaflow transmission. Baseball sized hole in the driver front floorboard and some rust in one of  the lower rear fenders, otherwise very solid and complete.  New brake pads and wheel cylinders came with it in the trunk along with u-joints and pinion seal.  Gas tank and radiator are also out of the car.  It look like someone was going to do the brakes, u-joint, seals, gas tank and radiator, but did not complete it. One of the trunk hinges is messed up. I was going to get it running, but have purchased a 54 Eldo that I'm going to focus on.  Located in Reno, NV.  Clear California title in my name.  $9900

Email directly at : jmurrayent@aol.com for more photos and details
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible
Many 50-53 coupe and sedan parts and cars

My Dream Car - But Alas  at  64 years old I feel It is beyond me
MICHAEL LYNCH
Wisconsin

jmurrayent

Michael, 64 isn't old, you're just getting warmed up......
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

Primed and ready for retirement, or as I call it, "Getting a life".

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

CORVAIRWILD

I would leave it as is. Patina is in, just do the minimum to get it mechanically back to roadworthy and maybe door panels. The patina is priceless IMO! Any history on the car? I've been to many junkyard out west, and the junkers are in better shape than the restored rust-buckets back east.  And is it really worth $10g? I guess if it sells...

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When I started out in this hobby, something like this was priced in TWO figures, not five. And the owner was thrilled to death to get a "sucker" to get it out of the driveway. I still have a great deal of respect for a hundred dollar bill and usually think quite a while before breaking it. Ten thousand dollars for a pile of junk is way, way too much. Keep looking for something that you have a fighting chance at getting your enjoyment back, much less your investment. This is the kind of thing that makes a contented wife start looking at the stud muffin that waited on her at Olive Garden last week... ("You paid HOW MUCH for that???" )
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jmurrayent

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on December 26, 2017, 08:22:58 AM
When I started out in this hobby, something like this was priced in TWO figures, not five. And the owner was thrilled to death to get a "sucker" to get it out of the driveway. I still have a great deal of respect for a hundred dollar bill and usually think quite a while before breaking it. Ten thousand dollars for a pile of junk is way, way too much. Keep looking for something that you have a fighting chance at getting your enjoyment back, much less your investment. This is the kind of thing that makes a contented wife start looking at the stud muffin that waited on her at Olive Garden last week... ("You paid HOW MUCH for that???" )

Hi Barry,
I appreciate your point of view.  If you were buying '53 CDV's for less than $100 back in the day, you must have been around when Bob Hoffman was buying '53 Eldos for $300.  Those times are long gone.  I have turned down $8000 twice and $8500 once for this car, so you are probably correct that it is priced high, buy way, way high...I don't think so. I plan to get it running and driving soon, they are much easier to sell that way.

Happy new year!
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Allen, Thanks for your courteous reply. I do wish you the best in "getting your price." Prices have drastically changed  since I've had a '53. And I've had two of them. One, a '53 Series 62 sedan that we bought from my supervisor's father and drove for several years, and a nice Series 62 coupe in two tone grey. This was back in the day we used them as daily drivers.

Once, in the sedan, we were on US 231 just over the line in TN going to Gay's dad's home (Before I-65 was completed.) We hit new asphalt and quickly had to slow down (a lot) as the Lifeguard tires I had on the car gave no traction at all, and it was like driving on ice in the summer time. It was our first "good" Cadillac. I think I paid $300 for it in maybe 1965 or 1966.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

jmurrayent

Barry,
Attached is a photo of my semi daily driver, notice the license plate.  It still has biased tires and really gives off a good squeal when you lock them up.  The last running '53 sedan I sold went for $3500 and it was a piece of junk.  As I see it, a 53 coupe in this condition is not worth restoring if you are hoping to get your money back.  However, the younger "original patina" crowd is powering this market.
Cheers,
Allen
J. Allen Murray
1950 62 Convertible
1952 62 Coupe
(3) 1953 62 Coupes
1954 Eldorado
1965 Deville Convertible
1970 Deville Convertible

druby

I'll just keep my piece of junk in my driveway!..........lol.
1949 Cadillac 4DR Sedan
1952 Cadillac Convertible
1953 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood