News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Favorite funnels and how you store / care for them?

Started by TJ Hopland, November 04, 2017, 01:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

I think the subject pretty much says it.   

What is everyone doing for storing and keeping funnels clean?   I have tried various options over the years and not really found anything that works any better than a typical funnel that you just leave in the trash can or oil drain pan till you need it and have to clean it.     I did find some that have screw on caps on both sides but only really like those for carrying in the trunk for emergency use.   When I have had those in the shop they just seem like more work and I end up loosing or damaging the caps.   Seems like there has to be something out there that works good.   Maybe something I can ask Summit Racing Santa for? 

The story that inspired me to ask this question today....

Yesterday I was in a hurry to go somewhere and knew I was a quart down in one of the rigs.  Found the 2 gallon jug with the correct stuff then started looking for a way to get it in the engine.   First found the 'garden watering can' I usually use to meter out of the big jugs and can hit the filler on most cars with no funnel but it had visible dirt and crap in it.  Its not the easiest thing to clean so thats out for now.  Found my usual go to funnel sitting in one of my waste oil jugs which I must have used for something especially nasty last time so it was in no shape for fresh oil, easier to clean than the can but still pressed for time.   See a cleanish small funnel I think I used last for putting kerosene in the portable heater.   Almost a success except its around freezing and its got a pretty small throat on it so it took forever to run a quart through it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lexi

Same situation here. So what I wound up doing was dedicating certain funnels for certain jobs. That way I just have to wipe the dust accumulation off and out of them prior to use. Gas funnel separate from coolant, trany and engine oil funnels. For a while I also used a lab quality glass funnel. Easy to clean and can be multi purpose for some of these jobs, but eventually it broke. Clay/Lexi

The Tassie Devil(le)

I store my funnels upside down, with a small cap on the little end.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I did some searching online and saw some DIY stuff that looked like a pipe organ made from PVC that the small ends fit in and then drain into a single bottle at the floor.   I kinda like that idea, it solves the drip issue and how to store em.   Just need to figure out a way to keep em clean.   

Upside down is an interesting idea.  Do you set them on some sort of drain tray?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

If they are used for petrol, i.e. Motor Mower or Boat, they evaporate quickly, and just store them dry.

With the oil, I have a cap that seals the bottom, and then a dust cover for the top.

For decanting into the cars, I use the "Jiggler" tube, and then syphon the fuel into the tank.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

This would solve my dispensing problems and its Lisle which still seems to make quality stuff.   I hate messing with quart bottles so I try to buy in gallons when I can.   Summit's photo is worthless.
http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=569&division=3&category=21
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900187/overview/

Here are the ones with screw on caps I was talking about if anyone thinks that would work for them.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lmc-cfa1/overview/

Here is one that someone mentioned, its a wall mount bracket and looks like the bottom where you screw on an empty bottle is spring loaded so it presses to the top and stays clean.   I may give it a shot.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900187/overview/

Im also thinking about Bruce's upside down idea.   What if you took a cookie sheet and what I think they call a cooling rack in it?   Its basically a wire frame that stands up maybe 1/2" from what its sitting on.    You could put some shop towels or kitty litter in the bottom if you were worried about it sloshing around.    I actually just got a better idea.   I have some 'metro' wire shelving in my garage now.  I could rig the cookie tray or maybe even those disposable 'tin' baking trays under the wire shelf and that would be the designated funnel area?   Set them upside down like Bruce does.  Even if I didn't cap the small end lot less chance of stuff getting in that way than big end up.    Same thing for where I store the grease guns and oil cans. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Glen

I never liked the normal funnels for putting oil into an engine. They usually don’t fit well and stand too tall prone to tipping.    So what I came up with is to cut the bottom off a plastic quart oil bottle.  The bottom can be used as a small try for keeping things together in a drawer.   The top section is then turned upside down.  The spout of the bottle fits well into the opening on the engine.  When I am done I put the cap back on the “funnel” and I stuff the rag or paper towel I used to wipe the dipstick into the funnel. 

I have a funnel with a long flexible tube and a fine mesh screen for the transmission.  It reaches back into the hard to reach places. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Lexi

Glen is right. So many funnels don't fit well and become "top heavy" thus prone to tipping when in use. I recently bought the funnel pictured below at a local auto parts store, it is made by Scepter. They have variations of the one I bought including a flex model. No tipping as it has a long stem, plus a slight flared edge/mouth to accept the fluid you are pouring into it (so no mess). The long and narrow shape works well, especially if you are just topping up. Perfect for our old Caddies with long oil filler necks and also for new cars with those narrow gas tank filler ports. It just 'stabs' in and works great. Fits in just like the gas nozzle at the local gas station. The only draw back is that it is a bit small so some may consider it best suited for topping up fluid levels.

Years ago I also bought a nozzle that is designed to screw onto a regular size oil can. It has a start and stop valve feature which is activated simply by turning the nozzle's tip. So to top up your oil just invert and place in filler neck, then open the flow valve. Shut off when done prior to removal. No mess. That also works great and it never needs cleaning-save for perhaps wiping the nozzle after use.  That way you eliminate the use of a funnel. Clay/Lexi

gary griffin

I have never considered funnels as much as I have since this post started me thinking about them.  I have a few randomly purchased funnels scattered around in my garage and lawn shed.  Now that it is on my mind I think that when I have the time I will figure out a system to inventory my existing collection and buy supplemental funnels to have a good number of choices and how to store my funnel array and dispose of a few nasty ones. My first thought is a selection of funnels stored upside down in a designated place after using? I dislike too small of funnel neck for adequate flow and flexible funnels when I do not need the flex feature as they turn the task into a 3 handed job.  Next I will have to retrain myself to clean them after use and put them in the correct chosen storage place.  Regrettably those who know me and have seen my garage will recognize this as an attempt at humor but I really will do it someday maybe ?? For today I need to clean a funnel to add oil to my Cadillac.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Lexi

As each of us looks around our respective garage I imagine that none of us are laughing as we are mostly in the same situation. Clay/Lexi

Delo427

I have a 5 gallon bucket under my parts washer that has all my funnels in it. I rinse them when I'm done and throw it in the bucket. Not the best, but they are where I need them and anything that may be left in them just goes in the bucket.

gary griffin

Mike that is a great idea.  I have a problem with it though, The circulation pump in my parts cleaner went kaput years ago and the unit itself has evolved into being a storage shelf for parts left over from various projects.  I suspect there are some parts still soaking in the washer but can not remember what they were for.  I wonder of all of the solvent in the tank have evaporated yet??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver