News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible- Chirping Noise from Rear of Vehicle

Started by 69Deville, November 06, 2017, 03:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Deville

Hello friends,

I have a 1969 Deville Convertible that is making a chirping sound from either the middle or the rear of the underside of the car. When I drive with the top down, I can open the door slightly and it sounds like it is just behind me. The sound is like a chirp that moves along with the speed of the car.

It typically appears when:

• Driving for about 10-15 minutes
  • Occurs about 75% of the time
  • Becomes noticeable on deceleration
  • Does not change if brakes are used or not
  • Does it whether AC system is on or off
  • Will make noise on acceleration after it first starts on deceleration
  • It may be doing it at higher speeds but I can't hear it over the road noise

Any guidance on where to troubleshoot would be great. I am thinking it may be the CV Joint but I am still learning and could be way off base. Other then the noise, the car runs great and you cannot feel any difference when the noise is being made or not. Also, I have changed the differential fluid and it made no difference.

Thank you all for the help!

-Dave
1969 Cadillac Deville Convertible
1966 Cadillac Series 60 Fleetwood
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham-sold :(

Dave Shepherd

This is a tough diagnosis from here, in my shop I would get the rear wheels off the ground and try and duplicate the noise, safely of course.  May be a u joint, cardan joint.

WTL

There was recently another post where a member heard chirping, I suggested the CV joint but he later reported back and said it was something else.  May ought to search for that post. 

I replaced my drive shaft in july because of bad chirping.  At the very least it could be your drive shaft.  Dave's suggestion should probably help you nail down what the chirping is not from, if it's not a specific wheel then probably that rear joint.

P. Manoogian

1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Bill Young

I had a similar problem on a 1968 DeVille Convertible in 1974. It was a rear wheel axle bearing.

69Deville

Quote from: Bill Young on November 15, 2017, 10:45:17 PM
I had a similar problem on a 1968 DeVille Convertible in 1974. It was a rear wheel axle bearing.

Thanks Bill! I'll give it a look.

69Deville

I was able to correct the chirp by replacing the front and rear cv joints. Runs great and no chirp!

savemy67

Hello Dave,

Was the replacement of the joints done at a driveline specialty shop, or was it done at a general repair shop?  In what part of the country do you live?  May I ask how much it cost to replace the joints?  If you would rather not say, I understand.  Glad your problem is solved.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

WTL

Christopher,

Since I just had the very same done for my 69, I will also answer -$350 for both joints at a specialty shop which seemed to cater to jeeps and trucks.  That was with the driveshaft already pulled.

mikanystrom

I had the same thing on my '70 and think I paid $300 at G&R Auto in Eagle Rock, California.  They did a great job.  But I brought in the driveshaft myself (I pulled and replaced it myself).  They replaced the CV joints with new stuff with zerks.  The car never ran so smoothly in the years I've had it.  Had 150K miles on it when I bought it in '97, around 250K now.  (Unless it rolled over one more time and we're at 350K but I don't think so.)
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)

savemy67

Hello WTL, Mika, Dave,

Were you given the option to have sealed universals in the double Cardan joints, or did your respective shops only suggest/offer universals with zerks that need periodic greasing?

My '67 still has the original sealed universals.  I don't know if the factory sealed joints were used in '68 - '70.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

69Deville

It ended up at $500. They had to fix the yoke, cut, and balance the shaft. My shop pulled it and sent it to a driveline shop. I didn't get the option of the sealed or not. I'll take a look under the car to see what I have.

WTL

I didn't specify which one to use, so they put the ones with the zerk on.  This will only ever be my car, so I expect I will remember to grease them once a blue moon.