Author Topic: Eldo or DeVille..............???  (Read 215 times)

Offline Raindance654

• Name: Terry Wareham
Eldo or DeVille..............???
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:27 AM »
Hello folks.
Sorry for the newbie question here but I just bought a 1961 Cadillac convertible.
If I'm buying parts for this car, and it's going to need a LOT, there might be times when I need model specifics.
I don't know if my car is an Eldorado or if it's a DeVille.
Can somebody tell me which it would be, if it can only be based on one model ........or how I can tell the difference please.......??
Thanks in advance.

Online D.Smith

• 1961 Sedan deVille
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #17592
  • Name: Dave Smith
Re: Eldo or DeVille..............???
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:35:22 AM »
Under the hood on the drivers side of the firewall you will see a body tag like I've posted examples below.

STYLE # 61-6367 is an Eldorado Biarritz.     
STYLE # 61-6267 is a regular Series Sixty Two convertible.     

There was no deVille convertible in 1961.  Although the interior upholstery of the base Series Sixty Two convertible in 1961 was of the deVille style.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:02:03 AM by D.Smith »

Offline Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #8621
  • Name: Eric DeVirgilis
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:38:57 AM »
Check the 3rd figure in the VIN. Series 62 Convertible is F; for Eldorado Biarritz it is E.

Front fenders will have Biarritz script on top; on Series 62 convertible (not called a DeVille which only applies to hardtop models in '61) there is a crest on the lower front fenders just above the skeg.

Biarritz also has a stainless molding that runs down the upper body sides, across the edge of decklid and back up the other side.

Eldoado Biarritz:

Series 62 Convertible:

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for Which There is no Acceptable Substitute

Online D.Smith

• 1961 Sedan deVille
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #17592
  • Name: Dave Smith
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
If it's an Eldorado it will have the name spelled out across the lower trunk panel.   The Biarritz script on the front fenders,  a full length thin upper side molding that wraps around the trunk too.    Unique interior door panel and seat style.    Plus standard power wing vent windows. 

Offline Raindance654

• Name: Terry Wareham
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
Thanks guys.
Seems mine is a series 62.
Anyone want to give me odds on finding replacement front and rear bumpers with good or at least usable chrome..........???

Offline Quentin Hall

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »
You won't have a problem finding bumpers. They are shared on all series. Look on eBay. Either one piece at a time or complete. Luck of the draw. But they are out there. Price will be dependant on what they are asking and what you'll pay.
 I figure half decent, complete cores will cost you $500 on up or per bar but you can get lucky.
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz