News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2018 Cadillac ATS Convertibles (by coachbuilder)

Started by Rich S, September 24, 2017, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Mike Josephic  CLC #3877 on December 15, 2017, 11:29:31 PM
Steve -- very much agree with you on the top.  It looks terrible -- like a
cheap conversion.  Also, as another previous poster pointed out
there is more to making a convertible than just chopping the top off. 
Lots of body structural engineering to get it right.

For example, the 1955 convertibles had a massive brace on the
frame that also added 500 extra pounds of weight.  I'm not saying
that's a solution for today, but it worked in 1955.  There are more
elegant solutions and more modern materials than back in the 50's
that can be used.

However, I doubt most "conversion coach" builders have the
know-how to do that.  Cadillac could, of course, but I don't
believe the marketplace would respond with sufficient sales to
make it worthwhile.  The XLR was a great looking car, but quickly
developed a reputation for many troublesome problems.  Same
with the Allante.

Being as pricey as they were back then, that didn't fly well with
the public and the equation high price + low quality = slim sales.

Mike

Coachbuilders / droptop / etc. has been in the conversion business for a while and they know what they are doing. I haven't seen the ATS conversion up close buy my ElDorado hard boot was well made and had some structural additions welded in that I could see when I removed the rear seat. As to whether or not they cheaped out in beltline trim or similar areas, I'll have to check one out up close.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Tpicks55

I test drove the new CT6 as well as the XTS.  Both cars are very similar with the exception of the CT6 is a few inches bigger, stop start feature, finger pad for functions, and some other small points.  Both the XTS and CT6 deove and rode very similar.  I purchased the XTS due to primarily price point.  On the other hand the continental was larger, rode like an old Cadillac ride, had lots more amenities.  Its downside was 10K more. 
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

cadillacmike68

The XTS is also an FWD car with the engine shoehorned in sideways making future maintenance a PITA at best. Try changing the serpentine belt or getting at the back spark plugs.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Tpicks55 on December 18, 2017, 08:38:45 AM
I test drove the new CT6 as well as the XTS.  Both cars are very similar with the exception of the CT6 is a few inches bigger, stop start feature, finger pad for functions, and some other small points.  Both the XTS and CT6 deove and rode very similar.  I purchased the XTS due to primarily price point. 
I'm sure the Continental is a fine car for the full-size sedan market.  My point was more that Lincoln isn't having any luck attracting many people to that once traditional Cadillac/Lincoln segment either.  Between CT6 and XTS, Cadillac has sold just under 25,000 full-size sedans in the U.S. so far this year while Lincoln with its Continental has sold fewer than 11,000 despite decent marketing efforts, publicity over things like the return of the Continental name, etc and being (I think) a nice car.

You had mentioned Cadillac's decline but a good part of that is because the overall full-size sedan market has declined so much.  Cadillac, Lincoln and others are targeting the SUV segment because that’s where sales are these days.

Quote from: Tpicks55 on December 18, 2017, 08:38:45 AM
On the other hand the continental was larger, rode like an old Cadillac ride
I realize this is all very subjective but when you say the Continental "rode like an old Cadillac", are there particular years or models of old Cadillacs you are referring to?  Some like to knock the Continental for its FWD layout but I personally don't get too hung up on FWD versus RWD.