News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Reinstalling strut rods and alignment questions

Started by taintedsaint, November 09, 2017, 04:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Manoogian

Glad to hear that Mevotech fits, but no doubt they are foreign too. If I know I am going to do front end work on an early Cadillac I always ALWAYS try to buy USA Made older stock. Not only will it fit better, but the metal thickness is correct.
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Serdontos

Quote from: P. Manoogian on November 15, 2017, 07:02:05 PM
Glad to hear that Mevotech fits, but no doubt they are foreign too. If I know I am going to do front end work on an early Cadillac I always ALWAYS try to buy USA Made older stock. Not only will it fit better, but the metal thickness is correct.

I agree and try to use USA made parts whenever possible.

FYI.....the Mevotech bushings are marked Made In USA on the box.

Ron
Ronnie Lay
Mannford Oklahoma
CLC#31047

1964 Coupe Deville
1964 Fleetwood Sixty Special (2)
1964 Sedan Deville

64\/54Cadillacking

Quote from: Serdontos on November 16, 2017, 01:32:55 AM
I agree and try to use USA made parts whenever possible.

FYI.....the Mevotech bushings are marked Made In USA on the box.

Ron

Great thanks for the info! Interestingly the mevotechs are more expensive than the MOOGS. I always associated mevotech with being low quality, but maybe they have improved.

MOOG isn’t what they used to be, a lot of their stuff is made in China, Mexico, Thailand and Taiwan now. It’s crazy how fast things can change in a few short years as far as brands go.

Even the best fall due to economics and cost cutting.  :'(:(
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

DeVille68

Quote from: P. Manoogian on November 09, 2017, 10:12:08 PM
And if you press in the lower control arm bushings too much or too little that too will cause issues. BTW, do NOT buy Mexican Moog lower control arm bushings as they do not have correct taper resulting in one end being loosey goosey. Moog knows this but will not recall the pieces.

ok, so have you measured the diameters?
When I pressed out the bushing a few weeks ago I did not notice any taper. I hope the bushing are still around I will try to measure the outside diameter.

What about ACDelco 45G9005 ?

On Rockauto they even provide some measurements:
Material   Rubber
Length   3.59 in
Length   91.19 MM
Color   Black
Inside Diameter   0.510 IN
Inside Diameter   12.954 MM
Outside Diameter   1.380 in
Outside Diameter   35.052 MM
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

DeVille68

ok, so I measured my A arm bushings and arms. The arm is about 34.90mm to 35.10mm depending on where I measured it (was a bit rusty)

The (maybe original?) bushings measured on the outside about 35.1 mm
So in conclusion there is no taper that I could measure. Also the bushing outside has no taper.

It seems that the ACDelco 45G9005 has the correct diameter.

@P. Manoogian: What diameter did you measure for the Moog 5155 ?

Found a pdf online giving some specifications --> I do not know if those are accurate! (would be great if someone could provide measurements)
Length   3.594 in                   --> +0.004 in
Inside Diameter   0.500 IN     --> - 0.01 in
Outside Diameter   1.375 in    --> - 0.005 in

--> Is the difference in outside diameter of -0.005 in indeed significant?

DeVille68

So, I just installed my new MOOG K5155 bushing into the lower A-Arm.

I did not notice any difference at all. I can not tell if the old bushing I pressed out where original or not, however the new ones where identical to the old ones.

They measure:
length overall: 3.56''
diameter outside: 1.370''

(so identical to the document I referenced above)

So far so good, I will update this thread upon installation in the car.
see details of this here: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=130360.msg388293#msg388293

Best regards,
Nicolas

Scot Minesinger

Right now completing a total front suspension, steering and rear suspension restore on a 1965 Cadillac, to make it drive as new.  So far the Rockauto parts rock.  I am taking pictures.  I have done this on a 1970 RWD Cadillac and a 1972 Eldorado.  Hopefully will not have to ask any questions and it all goes good.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bobby B

Quote from: Chas on November 13, 2017, 11:44:24 AM
Went to have the alignment done on my 1970 CDV. Brought it to what many in my area consider the most knowledgeable shop. I took the alignment spexs straight out of the factory manual, jotted them on a piece of paper, and brought them with me to give to the technician. All that I changed was the caster....I wanted +1.5 degrees due to the fact the car now runs radials. Get the car back along with the printout from the alignment machine. Drive out onto the highway, and the car is walking all over the road. Compare the printout to my handwritten note......and they totally disregarded what I wanted! Immediately bring the car back to the shop and show the desk man my notes compared to the printout. Asked him why they didn't follow my instructions. His response?: "95% of the people that walk in here don't know what they're talking about. We never pay attention to them".

Chas,
Sorry to hear that they disregarded your requests. We have a shop here in NJ that does absolutely outstanding work. They will not let the car go until you're happy. They set up high end cars, race cars, and everything else in between. They cost a few dollars more than the local tire shop, but it's well worth it. How many shops will take on E-type Jaguars, and how many shops would you trust working on those type of cars. I've been going to them for over 40 years and they have always done whatever I've asked, regardless of what they think. They will offer their opinion as to why you want a certain spec, but they'll do what you ask to make sure that the final result handling wise, is what you requested. I would be running backwards from a shop that were clueless as to the importance of the Strut Rod for a proper alignment.
                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH