Author Topic: 56 Leaking fuel  (Read 139 times)

Offline gatech1956

• Name: D Steeves
56 Leaking fuel
« on: November 11, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »
My 56 CDV is dripping at the front of the gas tank and the surface of the tank is wet with some drips at the front center. Puzzled as to why. The sender is only a year old from OPGI and I also had a new fuel line put in last year and been good since then. Then the smell of gas started creeping in my garage this week. Is the next step replacing the whole tank? The tank doesn't appear to be that old.

Online The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
Re: 56 Leaking fuel
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
Have you overfilled the tank?

Could you have a vent tube leaking?

If you turn the car around, and place the front higher than the back, does it still leak?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Offline gatech1956

• Name: D Steeves
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 06:23:11 PM »
Have you overfilled the tank?

Could you have a vent tube leaking?

If you turn the car around, and place the front higher than the back, does it still leak?

Bruce. >:D

Hey, Bruce. I doubt I overfilled the tank...the gas didn't shoot at me while filling and the needle only went to half after I was done. I haven't test that, but I will check tomorrow.

Offline carguyblack

• Name: Chuck Dykstra
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
My "new" sender started leaking after quite some time as well and it was the gasket around the mounting. Make sure yours is good, but you'll need to do that after your tank is down a bit. Get your eyes right on that thing first and see if it is juicy or not while the tank is full.
Chuck Dykstra

Offline chstitans42

• TheCorvetteBen
  • Name: Ben Friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
My new sender leaked through the screw threads, A few small rubber washers under the screws solved that problem.

Offline jaxops

• Mark Monaghan
    • CLC Member
      CLC Member #24591
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
If your sender is not leaking, I have found that in hot weather, since it has an open fuel system, the gas evaporates and fills the garage with fumes.  Keep your garage ventilated and don't fill your tank all of the way up. Hope that helps.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1989 Ford Crown Victoria Station Wagon
1997 Lincoln Town Car
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Offline J. Gomez

• CLC Member
      CLC Member #23082
  • Name: J. Gomez
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »
There are three places at the front of the tank that could be the culprit of the leaks, the fuel line pickup on the right corner, the drain plug about center bottom and the fuel sender unit assuming of course there are no other holes that were not detected. ???

There should be some tell-tell sign at the tank of any fuel leak if you still have the original painted one.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Time is irrelevant when you work on your classic car, eventually you will enjoy it..!