News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Leaking fuel

Started by gatech1956, November 11, 2017, 06:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatech1956

My 56 CDV is dripping at the front of the gas tank and the surface of the tank is wet with some drips at the front center. Puzzled as to why. The sender is only a year old from OPGI and I also had a new fuel line put in last year and been good since then. Then the smell of gas started creeping in my garage this week. Is the next step replacing the whole tank? The tank doesn't appear to be that old.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have you overfilled the tank?

Could you have a vent tube leaking?

If you turn the car around, and place the front higher than the back, does it still leak?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gatech1956

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 11, 2017, 06:47:25 PM
Have you overfilled the tank?

Could you have a vent tube leaking?

If you turn the car around, and place the front higher than the back, does it still leak?

Bruce. >:D

Hey, Bruce. I doubt I overfilled the tank...the gas didn't shoot at me while filling and the needle only went to half after I was done. I haven't test that, but I will check tomorrow.

carguyblack

My "new" sender started leaking after quite some time as well and it was the gasket around the mounting. Make sure yours is good, but you'll need to do that after your tank is down a bit. Get your eyes right on that thing first and see if it is juicy or not while the tank is full.
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

chstitans42

My new sender leaked through the screw threads, A few small rubber washers under the screws solved that problem.

jaxops

If your sender is not leaking, I have found that in hot weather, since it has an open fuel system, the gas evaporates and fills the garage with fumes.  Keep your garage ventilated and don't fill your tank all of the way up. Hope that helps.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

J. Gomez

There are three places at the front of the tank that could be the culprit of the leaks, the fuel line pickup on the right corner, the drain plug about center bottom and the fuel sender unit assuming of course there are no other holes that were not detected. ???

There should be some tell-tell sign at the tank of any fuel leak if you still have the original painted one.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

stzomah

Had the same problem with my 56 a month ago.  New tank and sending unit.  Does not fit up well in my opinion.  Seems to be poorly re-manufactured.  Make sure the gasket and screws are aligned well.  I put a lot of torque on the screws and it stopped leaking.  I'm sure I'll have to pull it apart again sometime and try to bend it up to fit better.  Sealing the screws sounds like a good idea too!
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

gatech1956

Got it fixed up. It was the sender. Had to be taken out and a new gasket was put in along with some sealant.