News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Newbie on car shows, judging etc.

Started by slowpoke17, November 12, 2017, 08:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowpoke17

I'm fairly new with the CLC and just received the GN issue with all the winners listed. I have many questions hopefully some of you can help guide me. I have a 1988 Coupe DeVille, very low mileage (just hit 23k) and all original. I believe its a Spring Special Edition, saphire blue, white top and matching two tone interior. Is there an RPO code that would call this out? It also has a Presidential emblem on the rear pillar. I've had several Corvettes and one of the big things with them is low production numbers. I would like to try and show my car at one of these events to see how it does. I tried to find information on this edition with both an on line search and in the '88 sales catalog but no info to be found. It does have the ASC label on the door for the conversion. I don't have any clue on how many were produced. Is this important for Cadillac judging information or will the judges have some idea on the rarity of certain models? Mainly I wanted to make a sign with this information for display on local car shows.

I also read about a CLC handbook for judging, can some one tell me where I can download this for some night time reading? I would like to enter it one day if there is a fairly local show. My wife is disabled so I'm limited on travel. Are the only judged shows at the national events such as Texas next year? If that's the case I guess I'm out of luck with formal judging but would still like to have the car  as complete as possible. It gives me something to do in the winter.

John Federico

Jim Miller

Go to CLC home page then under Technical. It's there. You can pull it up and print it off. I did it at work where I have a big printer. Probably take a while on a home printer. ---- nice car!
Jim Miller

Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

slowpoke17

John Federico

Steve Passmore

What an impressive interior. A nice place to be. :)
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

What a beautiful car, Jim. Unfortunately the "special editions" are not especially that much more valuable than a run of the mill De Ville. The condition of your car is what makes the difference as many high volume dealers had special editions/spring editions, and so on. During the winter, I would clean, clean, clean (not that your car appears to need it) and get ready for a local spring show.

CLC members are not quite as fanatical as the Corvette people in our judging. If you are in an area where we have an active Region, you should enjoy getting acquainted with your fellow members. I have belonged to the Club since 1964 and have friends all over the world.

Again, enjoy your car. It is one of the more dependable Cadillacs according to the listing of complaint/problems on line. Re: Your insurance coverage... Make sure that you have an agreed value with your carrier should you have an accident that is not your fault. Enjoy!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

D.Smith

You definitely have a "Spring Special Edition".    But the Presidential badges were added by the dealer.  Those aren't factory.

The "Spring Edition" package included the simulated convertible top, the gold emblems, the two-toned seats and door panels, special wheel cover inserts that were color keyed to the car.   Special horn pad too.

Gorgeous color combo!     Congrats and enjoy it! 

nysdarkblue

Hi, Barry, I never have been to a Corvette Show, but my car has been to 7 of the last 9 Grand Nationals. Each year my car I had something found wrong with it, being fixed as soon as I could going by the Judging sheet. CLC judging from my point of view is the toughest around. They find the littlest things wrong with the car. The best I could suggest is first determine what class your car belongs in. If anything other than modified, your car should be stock and work from there. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

slowpoke17

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on November 12, 2017, 05:25:55 PM
What a beautiful car, Jim. Unfortunately the "special editions" are not especially that much more valuable than a run of the mill De Ville. The condition of your car is what makes the difference as many high volume dealers had special editions/spring editions, and so on. During the winter, I would clean, clean, clean (not that your car appears to need it) and get ready for a local spring show.

CLC members are not quite as fanatical as the Corvette people in our judging. If you are in an area where we have an active Region, you should enjoy getting acquainted with your fellow members. I have belonged to the Club since 1964 and have friends all over the world.

Again, enjoy your car. It is one of the more dependable Cadillacs according to the listing of complaint/problems on line. Re: Your insurance coverage... Make sure that you have an agreed value with your carrier should you have an accident that is not your fault. Enjoy!

Hi Barry, Finally able to get back on-line ! Thank you for the advice, you certainly have the experience! My wife and I really enjoy having the car, she loves the sapphire blue and white combo. I insured it for an agreed upon value just a little more than what I paid for it so we have that covered. I'm planning to fix the power antenna, everything else is in good working order. I just replaced the headliner and it looks great inside. I have a lift in my garage and will be planning to get to work cleaning the underside. My question is do they prefer a clean, some surface rust underside or complete cleaning and touch up with a matching finish? The engine has some typical oil underneath but it looks like bare metal in some areas. The back end looks really good.
John Federico

slowpoke17

Quote from: StevenTuck on November 13, 2017, 05:44:24 AM
J, I make car show signs. Take a look at my site and let me know if I may be of service. A link is listed below my response.

Steven

Thank you Steven, some really nice looking signs you have there. I'm still debating on whether to have one done now or later toward spring. Is there a price range or are they all basically the same price? Also what time frame do you need to create one, if you can send me that info (I can send you my private email if you need it) and we'll look into it a little more. Thank you,
John
John Federico