News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Has anyone removed their AC decal successfully ?

Started by collector, November 14, 2017, 01:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

I'd like to remove my decal and put it on my NOS compressor. I've changed the casings before but I'm really wanting to make it easy on myself this time. Anyone had success? Maybe a heat gun and a razor blade?

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

But the compressor's not original.

::)

Get a replacement decal, drive it a few thousand miles, it'll blend right in....

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

cadillacmike68

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on November 14, 2017, 07:13:58 PM
Then it wouldn't be original. ;)

Bruce. >:D

I suppose you still have all the original hoses, belts and tires on your cars...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

V63

I have removed them, a new single edge razor and patience...starting at a corner. Seem I used brake clean to release adhesive as it was exposed. Contact cement was used to reinstall. Coat both sides...allow to flash off and stick together.

collector

Yes, my car has its original tires, belts hoses, clamps and  brake pads. Everything is original with 16k miles it still should all be original. The only things changed are the battery, brake fluid, oil and coolant. My compressor is making a bit of noise but still has its original R12 refrigerant. I turned on the AC and got it hot and used a razor blade and it came off nicely. The NOS compressor has the incorrect decal number and the reproduction isn't correct and doesn't have a serial number.

cadillacmike68

John, I was just razzing Bruce, not writing to you.

Its your car, you do what you want with it.

You never mentioned the year, but if it is a R-12 car with the original tires, I wouldn't drive it any anything over 10-15mph or for any distance whatsoever.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

collector

ALL of my cars have their original tires, none are dry rotted and none look worn. I drive all my cars around town but would never drive any of them on the freeway (even with brand new tires) you can only have a car original once. Any changes or defects deprecates them heavily. I have a closet full of NOS tires.  Thank you for your concern.

Bobby B

Quote from: collector on November 16, 2017, 11:01:55 PM
I have a closet full of NOS tires. 

If that closet were in MY Bedroom, the aroma would make me sleep like a Baby........ ;D ;D ;D
                                                                                                                  Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

www.eldorado-seville.com

My observation is that almost all reproduction decals, not only those for the AC compressors, are incorrect. They either have wrong information on them, use slightly different type and only look the same if you do not look at them closely. I'm always trying to stay away from these reproductions when possible and try to save my original ones. I too changed the casings of compressors in the past - just to save the original decals...
Gerald Loidl
1958 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1966 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1967 Cadillac DeVille
1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado
1974 Cadillac Coupe deVille
1978 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://www.eldorado-seville.com
http://www.cadillac-bigmeet.com

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
With all due respects, you might think about getting a "non perfect" car for highway driving.  Aside from having to replace several windshields due to sand blasting, I remember the "living room" comfort of that drive between your part of the world and the LA basin in my new 72 Eldo.  Running at 90+ on cruise control across the desert, not noticing a 45 MPH crosswind with the 8 track playing.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillacmike68

And, lets be perfectly clear about this:

NOS is NOT original.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

collector

Your splitting hairs. If a part is NOS with the exact same part number, its original. If you buy a car and a week after you buy it the compressor goes out. GM puts the factory compressor on, charges the system and everything matches and is put back to working order. Your saying it's not original??? That's insane. So, also what your saying is that even at the factory, the WW motor is inoperative before it leaves the assembly line. They pull the car out for repair, before shipping it to the dealer, that it's not original?  What constitutes original to you vs NOS? So, basically what are you saying is, that once a part is bolted on at the factory, that means that's the only way it can be original????? If a part has the correct part number stampings and you put the identical part back on, whether its 1 day or 40 years later, NOS is not the same as original? That is ridiculous!!!!  Another example, your curb your hubcap, you decide to go to the dealer a few years after the car was built, they have since discontinued making the hubcap. Your dealer finds you one through the parts locator. You put the hubcap back on and off you go. How with your logic, when you sell the car to your friend and you don't mention you changed the hubcap a few years back and it's sold, (as an all original car) that because the hubcap was replaced with an original factory part with numbers matching, it's not original ?? Move forward 10 years and that guy decides to sell his flawless " all original" car to a collector ( not even aware that the hubcap had ever been replaced) he now has a car that he can't call all original? Please re-think  your logic.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

John,
Everyone has their own conception of "perfection".  A while back I worked with a guy who's statement "There ain't no perfection this side of the grave". It seems to go back to what your definition of "is", is. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Rod Dahlgren #19496

It's original only once---  Very true.. I really do appreciate original cars in fine condition. HOWEVER, when I see them on a show field at a well known Concours d'Elegance and I am one of the judges assigned to the class they are participating, I am so sorry that the non-original, restored cars take the class win. I am proud to own unrestored cars, totally original, no, unrestored yes, show cars definitely not.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

cadillacmike68

Quote from: collector on November 25, 2017, 01:22:26 PM
Your splitting hairs. If a part is NOS with the exact same part number, its original. If you buy a car and a week after you buy it the compressor goes out. GM puts the factory compressor on, charges the system and everything matches and is put back to working order. Your saying it's not original??? That's insane. So, also what your saying is that even at the factory, the WW motor is inoperative before it leaves the assembly line. They pull the car out for repair, before shipping it to the dealer, that it's not original?  What constitutes original to you vs NOS? So, basically what are you saying is, that once a part is bolted on at the factory, that means that's the only way it can be original????? If a part has the correct part number stampings and you put the identical part back on, whether its 1 day or 40 years later, NOS is not the same as original? That is ridiculous!!!!  Another example, your curb your hubcap, you decide to go to the dealer a few years after the car was built, they have since discontinued making the hubcap. Your dealer finds you one through the parts locator. You put the hubcap back on and off you go. How with your logic, when you sell the car to your friend and you don't mention you changed the hubcap a few years back and it's sold, (as an all original car) that because the hubcap was replaced with an original factory part with numbers matching, it's not original ?? Move forward 10 years and that guy decides to sell his flawless " all original" car to a collector ( not even aware that the hubcap had ever been replaced) he now has a car that he can't call all original? Please re-think  your logic.

Maybe you should go join the corvette club where all that "matching numbers" craziness holds weight.

If it is a non-wear part or a major component, and it is not the part that was on the car when the first customer took delivery it is NOT original.

Nor are any wear parts that get replaced, Including compressors and WW pumps. I think I'm on my third pump and 2nd WW motor, but the engine block after some 175,000 or more miles is the ORIGINAL block  (& heads, manifolds, etc.) that came with the car, as is the transmission.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike