News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Air Conditiioning

Started by SK903, November 19, 2017, 09:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

What year did A/C become standard?
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

D.Smith

Automatic Climate control Air conditioning became standard in the Fleetwood Series 75 cars in 1966. 
It didn't become standard on the rest until January 1974.

A/C was included in the basic option group and dealers were encouraged to order it.
VERY few cars were ordered without it.   Mostly Funeral coaches.   But a few passenger cars
a year were ordered without it.  Most sold in Canada.   But with 99.9% made with it you can see why
they just made it standard by mid 1974.  Along with a price increase of course. 

Below is info from Ward's Automotive Yearbook.   They provide option percentages for some popular options
across all makes and several models.   I've posted just the Cadillac info.    They don't list all options.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That window sticker for the 74 Eldo shows AC was NOT standard, but an option.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

D.Smith

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on November 20, 2017, 12:05:47 PM
That window sticker for the 74 Eldo shows AC was NOT standard, but an option.
Greg Surfas

Did you read my post or just look at the pictures??    As I said, A/C was not made standard until January of 1974.     So it was extra cost on all 1974 Cadillacs (except the Series 75s)  made before that.    Remember the 1974s went on sale September 16th, 1973.      So early 74s had A/C as an option, any after January it was standard.  The window stickers I posted are proof that it was still optional early in the 74 model year.   

Below is a photo of post January 74 if you want proof it was standard then. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: SK903 on November 19, 2017, 09:03:04 PM
What year did A/C become standard?

Multipart answer:

First Cadillac model on which air was standard was the Eldorado Brougham in 1957 and remained standard on that model which ended 1960.  Next model was the Series 75 beginning in the 1966 model year.

Air conditioning became standard on all Cadillacs across the board beginning January 1st, 1974 as Dave says.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

SK903

Thank you for your replies. Very helpful. 
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

cadillacmike68

Climate Control was in aprox 95-97 % of Cadillacs by 1968. Still, there a few, mostly convertibles and Calais models originally sold up north that didn't have it.

I won't even consider one without it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

D.Smith

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 22, 2017, 09:51:57 PM
Climate Control was in aprox 95-97 % of Cadillacs by 1968. 

Stats for 1968 below

nysdarkblue

Hi, now that we know what year that a/c was made standard, what was the first car to get a/c and which Cadillac was the 1st?
Bill Estes
1990 Cadillac Brougham
2008 Cadillac DTS
2015 SRX

D.Smith

Quote from: nysdarkblue on November 23, 2017, 04:08:21 PM
Hi, now that we know what year that a/c was made standard, what was the first car to get a/c and which Cadillac was the 1st?

First year I see it listed as a factory option was 1953.    $619.55     Very expensive for its day.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

First year as an option... 1941.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

1941 was first year for air conditioning in a Cadillac but dropped the following year and did not reappear until 1953.

The compressor in 1941 was always on. Belt would have to be removed/installed from the compressor to shut the air conditioning off/on which is presumably the reason for the "false start" of A/C in 1941. 1953 featured the new compressor with electrically operated clutch. 

BTW - The first manufacturer to offer air conditioning was Packard - in 1939 (1940 according to some sources).

Dan LeBlanc

1953 did not have an electric clutch . . . it was an always on system also with a bypass solenoid to take the evaporator out of the loop when the system was switched off.  I believe the owner's manual refers to returning to your dealer to have the belts removed in winter.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

This is one of the first documented "add on systems.  In that year the refrigerant would most probably been Sulfur Di Oxide or Methyl-Chloride. 

I have to believe that the research and development for AC was halted at Cadillac by that European/Pacific "Unpleasantness".
Greg Surfas

While people have been playing around with ice and evaporative cooling since cars first became enclosed, most historians recognize John Hamman, Jr. as the owner of the first air-conditioned car. The system was custom-built and installed by Kelvinator in Houston, Texas around 1930, as much for the treatment of Mr. Hamman’s severe allergies as for its cooling ability. It was mounted in the back of the car, where the external trunk would normally be, and was powered by its own internal combustion engine.

Other than the photo above, I can’t find much information on Mr. Hamman’s Kelvinator setup. However, The newspaper article below shows a similar system being tested in New York City in 1933. A large compressor running under your feet no doubt cancelled out the noise isolation benefits of having the windows up.

First Air Conditioned Car
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

D.Smith

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on November 23, 2017, 10:04:39 PM
1941 was first year for air conditioning in a Cadillac but dropped the following year and did not reappear until 1953.

Thanks!    I thought it was 1941 too but couldn't find it in any of my books.    The Gold Bible (below) lists it as first in 53.

I had an elderly neighbor back when I was a teenager and she used to tell me stories about her past.  Her husband was the Editor of the Hartford Times newspaper.   She said they bought a new 1941 Cadillac.   They quickly traded it in for a Chrysler  after the 41 Cadillac overheated from its air conditioning on a trip to New York City.      So I remember that story of it being a 41.   I just couldn't find it in the book listed in 41.    I was beginning to think her story was off by a decade or more.     Glad you verified that it was indeed available in 41, albeit temporarily.

Good thread on this subject from 2014.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=128964.0

According to Terry Wenger, the clutch compressor began 1954.

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille