News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why no Self Starter for December?

Started by chrisntam, December 02, 2017, 09:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Classic

Barry & Tim,  Article was in the May 1963 issue of the Self Starter (cover is red with info on the Cadillac Crest).  It is 11-1/2 typewritten pages long, plus 2 pages of B/W photos.
Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jason Edge

Barry, I scanned a copy of the article from my May 1963 SS. You can check it out and download at this link: https://app.box.com/s/vxc6tmcd30x4wa6b4wt1ipwy182lkeuw It is about 10MB long. Tim, if there is any issue scanning and posting this I can remove it.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Jason, thanks so much for scanning the article. It is amazing how much of the prose that I can remember "word for word." We have a relative few members using the Forum, and if Tim and Steve can find the space, I think that it might be nice to let the Club see how it was done "Way back when." (It might take three issues.)

It is also a tribute to Norm's phenomenal memory. Even when the events were "just past" I would have had trouble keeping track of who had what car, when and where. I hope those who read the article can see why it has stuck in my mind all these years as such a good read.

It might not be a good idea to let your spouses read it. It might confirm their thoughts that we all are really bonkers. Starting out some three thousand miles in a 23 year old car "just like that." Well, it WAS a Cadillac!
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

A truly engaging narrative -- a wonderful account... I felt as if I were reading  Jack Karouac's  epic novel "On the Road," but as an alternative version--- where Jack and his hooligan friends all but destroy a Fleetwood they were employed to deliver, these heroes where attempting to save one from the scrap yard.  I wonder what ever became of the car... and what of the other old beauties  pictured in the piece. 
A final thought, "The more things change, the more they remain the same."

Happy day,   James

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This thread has wandered all over, and I'll include one last tangent... Bill Tite was widely known in the Club as owning the very last LaSalle off the line. And his widow is still a member with a 1940 V-16.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

James Landi

Thanks Barry...knowing the rest of this wonderful road adventure-/epic there comes your fine epilogue.  As has sometimes been stated here, at some point those who well preserve old,yet magnificent Cadillacs and LaSalles are caretakers---veritably the cultural preservers of a bygone era; and, having these wonderful written narratives (and also having others curate them for "younger" folks to read,) is, as they say, pure gold. 

Happy day,    James

Art Director

Jason, thank you for the scan. No problem with posting it. A Word document of the article is now in Steve's hands.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

dochawk

Due to my own fault (running fore the office), I ran my law school newspaper for a year (and drove the student government nuts by $1000/month in black ink).

Missing a meeting, I got appointed my homebrew (beer) club's first newsletter editor twenty some-odd years ago.

And as the Faithful Navigator (president) of a 4th Degree Knights of Columbus Assembly,  I ended up responsible for its newsletter.

This stuff is *work*, and the Self Starter is many times the size of what I've dealt with.

When I was informed that I would be this year's Grand Knight (president) of my local Knights of Columbus council (I was at another KofC meeting when this was decided . . .), I was immediately told that someone else would handle the newsletter for me . . . so I didn't run.

Anyway, a month off eery year for folks that do that work is *more* than reasonable (much as I'd like another issue :))

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)