News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why do some posts end with, Thanks I got it, instead an answer to their question

Started by tripwire, December 14, 2017, 09:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripwire

So, I've seen this a few times now. 
I'm following a forum posting and it goes like this.  It's of interest, at least a little, or I wouldn't be reading it. 

OP says, I need help with this...

( a few folks take a stab at the answer but not the one the OP is looking for and then someone says)
        Gee, I don't know, try contacting "Bob" he's the font of all knowledge on that subject.

Great, thanks. PM sent.
(followed shortly by)
Thanks, I got what I need.

Is there some reason the OP doesn't post the answer for others to see and be able to reference in the future? 
What happens when "Bob" falls off the planet and whatever he had stored in his head goes with him? 
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I use this forum to find answers to questions that I have that other folks have had regarding their car at some point as well. 
To me, this forum is a library for all of us and our collective knowledge on the subject we all share an interest in.
It's my opinion that we have a responsibility to build this repository to be complete and usable for the people that come along after we are gone.  We've had conversations about the future of the hobby and what's going to happen to these cars we all love and how kids these days don't know about points & condensers or carburetors or where to buy a replacement part, etc.
Am I wrong?

Wes in VT

Driving now:
2013 CTS4 Performance Coupe
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

jaxops

The answer was received on the personal contact method vice the forum discussion....or not at all the the person figured it out themselves.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

tripwire

jaxops,
I get that.  What I'm wondering is why couldn't the OP provide an answer on the forum instead of the, Thanks I got it? 
That way we all have the answer.
Driving now:
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1949 Mercury Convertible
1936 Buick Special Sedan

TJ Hopland

Isn't that great?  You do a search and find a thread with your exact car and exact problem.  You get excited because this should be the solution you have been looking for but......   It just ends.     

For some reason I get way more emails and PM's about problems here than other forums.   I get it when there is private info that needs to be exchanged for a sale or meet up or something like that but when its a continuation of the thread why not just keep it in the thread?   I can't imagine I am the only one that gets these so that could be a reason a lot of threads just end with no solution. 

The other thing that drives me nuts is what most forums call teaser subjects.   Here not usually someone trying to get people to click (for ad revenue) is more of a vague subject.   Its really bad here where one category covers over 100 years of cars.    "carb problem"   "brake issue".    A better subject would be "carb problem 37 Lasalle"  or "brake issue 79 Eldo".   

When I have nothing better to do I will read everything just to maybe learn something new but in the summer when I got lots going on I usually only read subjects that I think I may know about.   I would not click on the 37 Lasalle one because I just don't know much about that era car.   I would also likely skip over brake issue too because chances are good spread out over 100+ years I'm not going to know anything about that model.   If I had known it was a 79 Eldo I may have had the answer.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Barry M Wheeler #2189

This is a question that has some hard "answers." In a perfect world, the guy that solved the problem VIA a PM would also type his (sometimes) long answer so that the rest of us can find out "what it was." If it is not covered adequately, or not at all, at least we may know who did solve the problem and can write/call the person ourselves.

But typing out a long, detailed solution might just take too long at that particular time, so we get the "problem solved" note and we are left hanging. Well, at least SOMEONE got an answer and I guess sometimes that is all we can hope for.

Problem of the day... Solutions anyone???
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

In this particular case, the answer could be given in one relatively short sentence.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

WTL

This thread is the solution. 

The braintrust here is excellent, if anybody can solve tough Cadillac problems, it's the guys here.  Not me, but yall.

I think it's just gonna take self reminders from time to time that what we are doing in these posts is not just for the moment, we are creating a record for posterity. 

And as we clear that 50 year hump with so many of our cars, we will have to depend on each other's knowledge more and more as parts availability is exhausted, and gas changes and someday maybe goes away. 

76eldo

Lots of people do come back to explain what the actual problem was and how they fixed it. P
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

tripwire

yes, they do. And, that's great. I'm referring to that small minority that come back but don't close the subject.  It's like reading a mystery novel only to find the last few pages has been torn out.
Driving now:
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1949 Mercury Convertible
1936 Buick Special Sedan

David Greenburg

I certainly try to leave an answer if there is one.  On some occasions, not having received a reply but having figured out an answer, I have answered my own question for the benefit of the next guy.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: tripwire on December 14, 2017, 09:06:16 AM
So, I've seen this a few times now. 
I'm following a forum posting and it goes like this.  It's of interest, at least a little, or I wouldn't be reading it. 

OP says, I need help with this...

( a few folks take a stab at the answer but not the one the OP is looking for and then someone says)
        Gee, I don't know, try contacting "Bob" he's the font of all knowledge on that subject.

Great, thanks. PM sent.
(followed shortly by)
Thanks, I got what I need.

Is there some reason the OP doesn't post the answer for others to see and be able to reference in the future? 
What happens when "Bob" falls off the planet and whatever he had stored in his head goes with him? 
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I use this forum to find answers to questions that I have that other folks have had regarding their car at some point as well. 
To me, this forum is a library for all of us and our collective knowledge on the subject we all share an interest in.
It's my opinion that we have a responsibility to build this repository to be complete and usable for the people that come along after we are gone.  We've had conversations about the future of the hobby and what's going to happen to these cars we all love and how kids these days don't know about points & condensers or carburetors or where to buy a replacement part, etc.
Am I wrong?

Wes in VT

To be honest, I didn't think anyone gave it much consideration, seeing it applied to such a specific area (Hanford Ca.) and to a particular car.
I have just now, posted the results on the original thread.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

tripwire

Dude,
No one is singling anyone out.  There are plenty of other instances where we've been left on the verge of  a cliff-hanger.

Regarding your, "I didn't think anyone gave it much consideration" statement, if you look at your posting you'll see it had, at last glance, 390 readers so obviously it was drawing a tiny bit of attention.
And, thanks for posting the answer.

Wes in VT
Driving now:
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1949 Mercury Convertible
1936 Buick Special Sedan

59-in-pieces

Wes,
I agree with you, and it bugs the HELL out of me, when someone withholds the punch line - solution.
It's like being in the third grade with, I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW.

Given that there are some unique things about a specific year and model, by-in-large, these cars don't change all that much and the parts in many cases span years without extraordinary change - hence the interchange manuals.

I for one like to copy the thread or parts of them which I can use going forward in my repair or trouble shooting efforts.

I agree some explanations can drag on to be accurate and helpful, and that is why I also love to post pictures. Those who know me, I hope would agree that I post pictures because a picture is worth a thousand words, and although my contributions are focused to 59's, I hope they are at least helpful to those with 59 or 60 cars.

I think it is my job as a member of this forum, to be helpful when I can.
You can't take money with you, and you surely shouldn't take your knowledge or experience with you.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Jeepers Creepers