News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1969 cad limo A/C compressor conversion

Started by 1969cadillac, December 27, 2017, 08:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

hello out there !

I have replaced the standard GM compressor with a :

Sanden SD7H15 unit

I am wondering how much oil to put in the unit , I am running R134a gas

It orig has 135ml of oil .... and more can be added to bring it up to the filler hole on the side.

I looked up the old compressor specs in the shop manual :

everything expect the limo takes 10.5 fluid oz

the limo takes 13.5 fluid oz

Q should I just fill the new sanden comp till the oil starts to come out the filler

OR

will I need to add additional oil to the system when it is charged ? as well as the oil in the compressor ?

your thoughts please ?

Murray Mules

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Murray,
The oil capacities you have shown are for the entire system. Typically (for an A-6) the compressor holds 5-1/2 ounces and the rest is distributed around the AC system as indicated in the shop manual between the condenser, the receiver dryer, the evaporator and the POA.
Ask the manufacturer what the oil capacity of the compressor itself should be and then adjust the total oil charge accordingly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-