News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Gasket for brake fluid

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, January 11, 2018, 09:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Hello all.
1955 master cylinder cap is leaking. It is the cap with the remote filler line. It is the cap itself leaking, not the filler line. I have tightened it down as much as I dare but I am still losing fluid while just sitting under static pressure. It is a rebuilt cylinder but it didn't come with a new gasket. I tried the old one but it doesnt seem to have any life left in it. I have not had much luck finding just the gasket on-line and would like to find it locally if possible.
I was wondering if just a copper crush gasket would work. I can match the size with a shop at the local airport.
Any thoughts?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Jay Friedman

In my experience those gaskets are either rubber or cork.  Here is a new cap for sale for a master cylinder without a remote reservoir that has a gasket and you can see what it looks like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-61-Chevrolet-Master-Cylinder-Cap-Numbered-8-126A/190800307056?hash=item2c6c95a370:g:msYAAOxyQj9RImgV&vxp=mtr 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

TJ Hopland

Copper takes a fair amount of pressure to 'crush' so I would not think that would be ideal for this application.   Cork seems like it would have been an original type of material. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks. What was there was of a thinner plastic coated paper type material. I don't know if it leaked before because it was dry when I got it.
Will go the cork route..... thanks.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Roger Zimmermann

Obviously, I don't understand something. How can be the filler tube be under pressure? Do you overfill that reservoir? It must be open to the atmosphere.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

No. Just static pressure of the fluid in the line from the reservoir on the firewall down to the master.  It would leak with it just sitting in the garage.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Roger Zimmermann

What happens when you are removing the cap? Is the fluid overflowing? If yes, something is wrong in the master cylinder. The residual valve should assure that a very small pressure is present in the closed circuit. If this valve is misfunctioning, the fluid is  (maybe) draining back from the Hydravac into the master cylinder, elevating the fluid level in the reservoir.
If I'm right, that cap must be vented. If everything is functioning as intended, you don't even need a gasket for the cap.

I have the impression that your problem is not the gasket but why the fluid level is such that the fluid is bypassing the cap.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bob Kielar

Hello Jeff,
              Sorry I'm late to the party. Here are some pictures of the cap and gasket from my 55 Fleetwood. The gasket is not cork personally I would not use cork for the fear of a piece going in the reservoir the edge is kind of fuzzy maybe just gasket material that is old. If you look at the cap there are small holes on the top square where you put a wrench on did you check this? My reservoir leaked one time I had it to full now I fill it to about a inch or inch and a half from the top never leaked again.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Nope, nope. I have been unclear and I am sorry.
Not the reservoir cap, the cap on the master itself.......
Reservoir on the firewall has the tube that runs down to the master. The tube on the master goes into the master's cap that is fitted with a hole to allow the tube to go into it. This is the cap I am talking about. It leaks (not where the tube goes into it) at the cap itself. It is 2 feet below the reservoir so just having fluid in the reservoir is causing it to leak. There is no leak above the master.
Bob, what us your gasket made of?
Jeff

I need 4.5530. My cap is 4.5525 and the tube is 4.5470 (the inset)
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

J. Gomez

Jeff,

It is/was probably made of a rubber/fiber gasket material, 1/16" maybe  ??? I have made one for my '56 cap with no issues as long as it is not over tight.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

fishnjim

It won't be cork.   Needs to be impervious for DOT 3, cork is too porous.   Rubber swells.   
They used some sort of pressed gasket material from the day* but that doesn't help.   Should be able to find a proper gasket they rebuild these regularly.   
I found some from another make that fit my other car, so don't just look for 55 Cad.  They used these is a variety of years and makes.  Search by your's manufacturer and part numbers; moraine, bendix, wagner, etc.   I searched via internet and found at some hot rod place.    Check with a rebuilder or parts store that sells rebuilts.   Try the Cad parts guys too, like Fusick, et al.   Might be available in a kit.
* - probably outlawed today by OSHA or EPA.

Roger Zimmermann

A drawing is replacing a confused explanation much better! You may now get better answers!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I thought I explained something well and it appears I didn't........... Funny, my wife says the same thing!
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Glen

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on January 13, 2018, 08:34:36 AM
I thought I explained something well and it appears I didn't........... Funny, my wife says the same thing!
I understood it the first time.   Maybe our brains work the same way. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500